Question Best Graphic card for my setup (300-350$)

Aug 27, 2023
Hello,

So I finally was able to upgrade my system from i5-6600k/16GB DDR4 to i5-12600k/32GB DDR5 (full specs in signature) and one last piece is going to be graphics card.
At this moment I have my MSI GTX1070Ti 8GB but looks like the newest games are starting to struggle in 1080p High/Ultra already (Cyberpunk 2077) or are unplayable (Starfield). I also want to get 1440p 165Hz monitor soon.
After doing some research I will probably settle on Radeon RX6700XT 12GB as it seems like perfect spot for what I need. I learned that "future proofing" doesn't make anymore sense as my previous setup lasted me 5-6 years and I had to change the whole platform anyway.

Not sure thought what brand should I buy for best performance/cooling/OC possibilities.

My two options I am debating are:
- Powercolor Fighter: https://www.microcenter.com/product...ter-dual-fan-12gb-gddr6-pcie-40-graphics-card
- Sapphire Pulse: https://www.microcenter.com/product...lse-dual-fan-12gb-gddr6-pcie-40-graphics-card
Are there any better options that won't break my bank? What about XFX or MSI options?

I was considering RX6750XT but seems like it's just overclocked version of RX6700XT which I could do myself If necessary.

Same with RX7700XT - I will wait till they start selling it to see price difference and performance vs RX6700XT, but 700W PSU requirements will lead me to replace PSU which I can't afford right now.

Both those cards are decent for budget models, however, I think I'd give Sapphire the edge when it comes to quality and my trust in their products as well as their support after the sale. I think the Pulse is the better option in that regard and really those are probably the only criteria that matter because they are probably very much comparable otherwise.

Reactions: Nexus713
Aug 27, 2023
Both those cards are decent for budget models, however, I think I'd give Sapphire the edge when it comes to quality and my trust in their products as well as their support after the sale. I think the Pulse is the better option in that regard and really those are probably the only criteria that matter because they are probably very much comparable otherwise.

Thank you for the answer! I was aware that performance wise they will be similar, just wasn't sure about cooling and power drain if there are any differences.
I wish ASUS ROG version was cheaper, looks like they have great cooler and OC possibilities but I don't feel spending 500$+ on RX6700XT when I can get more powerful chip for that price.

Of those two cards I'm also in camp Sapphire.

If you're willing to order online from amazon/newegg you can get some 3 fan models for $330-340. The 6750 XT has better VRAM which likely has more OC headroom, but I doubt that would end up being a significant difference between the two. If you're spending $400+ it'd be time to move up to a 6800/6800 XT and/or wait for 7700 XT/7800 XT.

Aug 27, 2023
Of those two cards I'm also in camp Sapphire.

If you're willing to order online from amazon/newegg you can get some 3 fan models for $330-340. The 6750 XT has better VRAM which likely has more OC headroom, but I doubt that would end up being a significant difference between the two. If you're spending $400+ it'd be time to move up to a 6800/6800 XT and/or wait for 7700 XT/7800 XT.

Which 3 fans models exactly do you have in mind? For that price I saw only XFX but i heard this is the most budget option from all brands and better luck with Sapphire or Powercolor - but I could be wrong :)

Which 3 fans models exactly do you have in mind? For that price I saw only XFX but i heard this is the most budget option from all brands and better luck with Sapphire or Powercolor - but I could be wrong :)

There's a pair of ASRock ones and the XFX which definitely is a cheap cooler, but should still be better than the two fan models cooling wise.

I don't think it's probably a huge deal with this card one way or the other. Generally unless there's a big difference I lean towards the brand you know/trust primarily.

For me, I'll definitely buy ASRock motherboards but I avoid their graphics cards as there have simply been too many poor reviews of many of their models of the last five years or so.

When it comes to XFX, I just avoid them in general because they have gone steadily downhill since about the time they decided to drop Seasonic as their primary OEM for their power supplies. Seems like they made similar changes to less trustworthy platforms and manufacturing partners across the board. I'm sure they still have a few good products, but to me, it's not worth the risk when I know I can get something better from their competitors.

Aug 27, 2023
For me, I'll definitely buy ASRock motherboards but I avoid their graphics cards as there have simply been too many poor reviews of many of their models of the last five years or so.

When it comes to XFX, I just avoid them in general because they have gone steadily downhill since about the time they decided to drop Seasonic as their primary OEM for their power supplies. Seems like they made similar changes to less trustworthy platforms and manufacturing partners across the board. I'm sure they still have a few good products, but to me, it's not worth the risk when I know I can get something better from their competitors.

Thank you so much! More opinions, easier choice for me.

So in your opinion is better to get 2-fan system from Sapphire than 3-fan system from XFX right? I mean i guess RX6700 XT is not that demanding card if it comes to cooling so 2-fan system should be enough, especially that I have solid Case with great airflow.

I will wait few days to see if introduction of 7700/7800 will shake the 300-500$ range a bit (counting on some small discounts in 6XXX family) so maybe I can grab RX6700 XT even cheaper or RX6750XT will drop down to RX6700XT actual price range.

I'll be honest here, while there was a time when it would have been a tossup for me as to whether to go with AMD or Nvidia when it comes to graphics cards, I can't say I feel that way with the current or last gen AMD cards. Especially since they feel their product is good enough to charge similar prices as Nvidia, when they are actually really not. In one sense they are, but in another, not so much.

And for only a few dollars more you can get a card from the Nvidia camp that has slightly better performance, runs cooler in general AND has moderately better driver and framework support than the AMD cards do. But, money IS money, and sometimes a few bucks makes for a deal breaker. And, some people simply refuse to support Nvidia, as if AMD is any better when it comes to their moral compass or giving two tin shiznits about you, or me. They are no better and no worse. Almost all these companies, with a couple of exceptions, are all the same in that regard.

So, what country are you in and what is the absolute most you can reasonably afford to invest in a new graphics card? Also, and perhaps the MOST important question here, what is the EXACT model of your power supply?

Aug 27, 2023
So, what country are you in and what is the absolute most you can reasonably afford to invest in a new graphics card? Also, and perhaps the MOST important question here, what is the EXACT model of your power supply?

I’m living in US and i don’t mind ordering online like amazon, newegg etc.
About budget - i want to upgrade card without spending too much but to play comfortable in 1080p/1440p, also without replacing PSU which it would be additional cost. Which i thought 300$+ would be reasonable price to pay since I want to upgrade my 1080p 75Hz monitor too for something 1440p 144-165Hz which is additional 200-300$

What's the brand and model of your current PSU?

My PSU is Corsair CX650M (650W): https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/psu...ronze-certified-modular-atx-psu-cp-9020103-na

Well, honestly, IMO, you're not likely to get a card for 300 that is going to be capable of doing 144fps at 1440p if you're looking for Ultra settings. With reduced settings, then either that RX 6700 XT or an RTX 4060 would probably both do the job. Stepping up one tier to something a little more expensive is probably wise if you're not looking to have to drop any settings.

At 1080p, either of those cards probably does just fine.

Aug 27, 2023
Well, honestly, IMO, you're not likely to get a card for 300 that is going to be capable of doing 144fps at 1440p if you're looking for Ultra settings. With reduced settings, then either that RX 6700 XT or an RTX 4060 would probably both do the job. Stepping up one tier to something a little more expensive is probably wise if you're not looking to have to drop any settings.

At 1080p, either of those cards probably does just fine.

Thank you for your input.
After RX7700XT release I watched some benchmark videos etc and looks like it's pretty great upgrade from RX6700XT for decent price. If I can get one for actual 449$ (with Starfield bundle also, since I want to play this game anyway so saving 60-80$ there) I will probably pull the trigger and get that! I just saw this ASUS TUF Version here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFSPZ1YY?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 only 20$ more from MSRP but has great cooling and would match my "ASUS" setup.

Only worried about PSU if can handle my setup with RX7700XT because I saw that power consumption is not really lower than RX6700XT and if anything - it's higher.

I know that for 50$ more I can get RX7800XT which is best option for ~500$ but that would mean definitely changing PSU and adding additional $100-ish which I can't afford for sure atm.

Thank you for your input.
After RX7700XT release I watched some benchmark videos etc and looks like it's pretty great upgrade from RX6700XT for decent price. If I can get one for actual 449$ (with Starfield bundle also, since I want to play this game anyway so saving 60-80$ there) I will probably pull the trigger and get that! I just saw this ASUS TUF Version here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFSPZ1YY?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 only 20$ more from MSRP but has great cooling and would match my "ASUS" setup.

Only worried about PSU if can handle my setup with RX7700XT because I saw that power consumption is not really lower than RX6700XT and if anything - it's higher.

I know that for 50$ more I can get RX7800XT which is best option for ~500$ but that would mean definitely changing PSU and adding additional $100-ish which I can't afford for sure atm.
Honestly if you're willing to spend $450 just spend the extra $50 for the 7800 XT power limit the card to 85-90% until you can upgrade the PSU. You'll be much better off long term, and likely still get better performance.

You can always power limit graphics cards and CPUs on consumer Windows platforms. It just doesn't make any sense to buy a component you have to do that to UNLESS you definitely 100% intend to upgrade the PSU before long so that you can take full advantage of what you're paying for. Otherwise, it ends up being a waste of money.

Aug 27, 2023
So after selling my old parts and checking all benchmark and tests i decided that i will settle on RX6700XT from Sapphire, as the price was great for performance that is offering, especially in 1080p. So i was about to buy it today for 339$…

But then i saw this great discount:

Powercolor Red Devil RX6750XT for just 30$ more, i couldn’t not buy it :) I hope my PSU will handle that without any issues and i made a good choice, after all I have 30 days to return it if anything 😈

Thank you all for your help! I will update when I install the card.

Emoji_Thumbs_up_001.png

Aug 27, 2023
Update:

Card installed, old Nvidia drivers uninstalled via DDU, new AMD drivers installed.

Card runs great! Over 60fps in Cyberpunk2077 1080p on max settings (no RayTracing), Starfield 50-60fps on max settings in 1080p, couldn’t be happier!

So far no power issues, was playing Starfield for good 5 hours today, card was reaching max 60*C, never got any restarts, power shortages etc. I think my corsair will handle it well!

Reactions: thestryker