best graphics card for $400

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007

ofc u can oc both cards and the 8800GTS would probably end up at 7% more performance once both are maxed out with the best aftermarket heatsink. But the price difference would be about $100...my whole thing was about if it was worth spending the money, which it isn't. I rather get a 2180e...for that money. I was just simply stating the fact you can get 8800GTS performance from a 8800GT for a cheaper price than the 8800GTS, itself.

Bottomline: you can OC both and the 8800GTS will be on top - but its not worth the $100..for the 4 FPS. The performance spread per $$ for the 8800GT is always better and a winner imo. The 8800GTS isnt "worth it".

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Maybe you forget that to find an 8800GT in stock is like trying to find a Sasquatch...it just doesn't happen.

The initial question was this,

The answer: 8800GTS 512 G92. No question. 10%better is still better in the $400 price range. Nuff said.

so yeah 3850 sli is cheaper and better lets not be retarded.
but as mentioned earlier one card would be um well a better solution in my opinion. heat, power consumption and possibility of adding another kickass card further down the line when prices fall. and right when your card is dated throw in another and blam right back on the horse

cleeve

Illustrious

You keep arguing about how bad the 8800 GTS is and I keep trying to tell you I'm not even debating it with you.

I don't know how many ways I could try to let you know that I'm simply pointing out a flaw in your logic, not arguing which card is better. You have a fundamental problem with communication here, I suggest you re-read my last 3 posts and really try to digest what I've said before continuing to argue a point I'm not even disagreeing with.

Unless you're posting for the sake of my amusement. In that case, mission accomplished. Rock on! :D