best graphics card for a non-gamer?

dblake

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Been mulling over parts for 1st build for a couple weeks & am rethinking graphics card choices.

I do a lot of spread sheet, charting, video editing, multi-tasking, browsing & general computer stuff but very little gaming.

I started out with a radeon 4850, then dropped to a 3870, then 3850 but in reading reviews I still see a lot of comments about heat, noisy fans, fitting problems, etc which I don't feel I should have to deal with.

So what is currently the best card out there for a non-gamer?

I should mention I'm currently using a 6 year old Gateway with a Nvidia GeForce2 MX 400 so I'm sure anything would be an improvement but I want the best available for the purpose. Any suggestions?

ps-my propsed mobo is gigabyte ep45-ds3r with q9450 cpu & 8 gb ddr2 800 ram. still mulling over case also.

mothergoose

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Do you really need a rig that powerful? A q6600, DDR2 800, and a dirt cheap motherboard should do you just fine. As for a graphics card, I would suggest something with a high cache for buffering. A workstation card might be better suited for you.

dblake

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I've been out of the loop for some time ("6 year old gateway").

What would be an example of a good "workstation card"?

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
A good "workstation" card will run you $1000+.

But, I know what you mean, the card geofelt linked is an example of something you need to be looking at. Since you arent playing games basically all that matters on the card is it can output a damn image. The amount of ram, the bus size, and the clock speeds are all irrelevant really. Basically you shouldnt be spending over $50-$60 on a card.

mothergoose

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Dual monitors, lightning fast video editing, ect... ect... Unless this is REALLY important to you, or you need this computer for your job or to make money, this is all just unnecessary goodies and eye candy. A quad core will be nice if you do any video editing, but you better make sure you are going to get your use out of it. Otherwise an entry level core2duo like the allendale will serve your needs more then adequately 90% of the time. I blue-ray burner could be something you might consider investing in for data storage and more media options, but that better be something you plan on using a lot as well. Right now this card should be fine for the "mainstream" non-gamer related geek computer (no offense).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103053

It will game pretty well too. If you have kids and you are comfortable letting them use your computer they will appreciate it.

A 4850 is another good buy, and while it is an amazing gaming card, it does really well with media as well. Much better then the gtx 200 series. Another thing to consider.

mothergoose

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
EDIT: the low rating on this card can be attributed to ATI bashing which was very popular at this time. Get an aftermarket heatsink for it to reduce the noise and get better cooling

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I heard the Earth's Air series cards were good. Odorless, colorless, tasteless, and most importantly, takes up no room in your case and requires no power. Comprised mostly of oxygen, the Air series is a must for the non-discriminating non-gamer who has everything and needs nothing.

I have to agree with RetiredChief. The card I gave as an example earlier had a higher failure rate than I would be comfortable with.

A card which I can vouch for personally is the XFX 7600GS. It is fanless,seems to run cool, and has two dvi ports, and supports 2560x1600. It should sell for <$100. No link to newegg vecause they do not seem to carry it. XFX is a good vga vendor, and they offer a lifetime warranty. It is in my backup pc.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
This guy is coming from a GeForce2 MX 400, and wants to upgrade to a non-gaming desktop work only video subsystem.

If you said anything other than integrated video, fail.

Phrexianghoul

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007

I agree. I had one too, but mine was by ASUS. 3 years running strong :D It's currently running in my dads rig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121064

There's really no reason to get something more powerful than a 3450, or at most a 3650. Most people overestimate how important graphics are to most people's computer experience.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
For the non-gamer id always reccomend a passivly cooled card just for the quiet :)

Without a fan on the GPU its very easy to reduce your computers noise.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008

The OP has yet to make a mobo decision, let alone buy it, let alone install it. He said "proposed". What part of that don't you understand.

I say he gets integrated video if he's looking to save money, Most Intel boards have GeForce 7 class onboard video options.

Don't blame me for your mistake, failboy.