Question Best graphics card for Asus M4A79T deluxe?

Jun 1, 2020
Hi guys, I have an Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard, a Phenom II 955 Black Edition CPU, 12GB of DDR3-1333MHz RAM, an N9800GT graphics card and a 400W power supply, and I want to know how to best replace the graphics card:

What's the best graphics card I could get without bottlenecking it and without changing the CPU?

And what if I replace the CPU with the best one compatible with my mother board (I believe it's the Phenom II 1100T right?)

Would I need a power supply upgrade in either case?

Also, would I get any benefit of using a modern graphics card, even if bottlenecking it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020
I have a Phenom ii paired with a 980ti. This is a good gpu, goes for about $200 on eBay. It is slightly more powerful than the 1660 ti, which is a $250 card. There is a bottleneck, but the fps in every game has increased for me by about 4 times. (My old card was a GTX 650). I think this would be a good card for your system if you really don't want to replace your whole system. It has about a 10% loss in performance because of the bottleneck, but it would still demolish your old card. I specifically picked the 980ti because it is an older card (which results in a smaller bottleneck), and because it was a better value than the 1660ti (Which, from what I have heard, has a 40% loss in performance with a Phenom ii). Also, since it outperforms the 1660ti, it would still be a decent performer when you get around to upgrading your whole system. On an un-bottlenecked system, the 980ti will give you a solid 144hz 1080p, while with the Phenom ii, expect 100hz or less. With more CPU intensive games, you might notice a slight bit of volatility in the fps, Of all the games I tested with my setup, Minecraft performs the most choppily: never set render distance above 20. Also, replacing your CPU would be pointless, because even the best AM3 CPU (Phenom ii 1100T) struggles to keep up, and you would be spending money on something that performs better, but barely. It would jut be money spent that merely delays the inevitable, which is replacing the CPU, motherboard and RAM. Save the money that you would spend on a Phenom ii 1100T for a new system, but I would strongly suggest the 980ti for getting your current system useable at the very least, and it is a good enough GPU that it can be used for your future build.

Last edited: