[SOLVED] Best Graphics Card I Can Upgrade To?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 14, 2020
I am thinking of building a new computer completely, but before I do that I just want to check to see how high I can upgrade my current system, either for myself or to give to my fiance.

I am running off of a GA-970A-D3P motherboard with a AMD FX-6300 Six-core 3500Mhz. I have 16GB of RAM installed, and I have a 500W power supply, which I could easily swap out if need be. I am currently running a 2GB GTX950 as my GPU, so I am looking for something better, and price isn't really an object, so any recommendations would be nice. I've looked it up on a few spec websites and saw that a 1060 would work, but I'm also wondering if there is anything more modern that can fit and work.

Thanks!

Solution
I've looked it up on a few spec websites and saw that a 1060 would work, but I'm also wondering if there is anything more modern that can fit and work.
The 1060 is no longer being manufactured and might be kind of hard to find at decent prices if buying new. The newer 1650 SUPER actually performs a little faster than a 1060 6GB in most current games though, draws a little less power, and can be found for as little as $160 in the US. It does have less VRAM at 4GB, but that shouldn't make too much of a difference in current games at resolutions around 1080p and below...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=476

Taking the 1060 6GB's place in the product stack is currently the 1660 SUPER, which also...
May 25, 2020
I would agree there is a bottleneck If he had a dual core processor. They are no incompatibilities there is no reason they would be stuttering all of the extra cores would help with an rtx. Why buy a used video card for a few hundred dollars with no guarantees or wait a few months and get a 2070 super for around the same price. Really stupid people post stupid stuff. Yeah they have no qualifications or experience to speak of. My recommendationIs don't take any knowledge from this website. Because people will give you bad information.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I would agree there is a bottleneck If he had a dual core processor. They are no incompatibilities there is no reason they would be stuttering all of the extra cores would help with an rtx. Why buy a used video card for a few hundred dollars with no guarantees or wait a few months and get a 2070 super for around the same price. Really stupid people post stupid stuff. Yeah they have no qualifications or experience to speak of. My recommendationIs don't take any knowledge from this website. Because people will give you bad information.
Do you not have experience with the fx cpus? Amd pre ryzen will hold back basicly and gpu above low mid tier. Frankly I thing your trolling lol

May 25, 2020
I'm not saying the CPU is the most powerful. I'm saying why waste $300 getting a used GPU. Save another 100 get the graphics card and then upgrade to a more powerful CPU later on. For whatever bottleneck he does have the card will still outperform his current set up. And next year when everyone is upgrading the cpus then find a good deal motherboard cpu combo.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This question isn't really possible to answer without knowing:

• What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • What games do you plan to play?

Also: What is the brand and exact model number of your PSU?

poorbugger

Distinguished
Currently the best video card is an RTX 2080 ti. It will cost you new around $1200 if you wait till the end of the year you can get an RTX 3080 ti. Possibly cheaper. I recommend just get a RTX 2070 super $600. That would be a tremendous upgrade from what you have. It has 8gb of vram.
Dont listen to this guy lmao. Obviously the best gpu is 2080 ti but with your current build dont buy the rtx 2070 super. Unless you're planning to get a better cpu and psu then yeah. If you're looking to keep all of your current build except the gpu, i would suggest the rx560 or rx570. If you're going nvidia gtx 1050ti is fine.

Jan 3, 2020
Dont listen to this guy lmao. Obviously the best gpu is 2080 ti but with your current build dont buy the rtx 2070 super. Unless you're planning to get a better cpu and psu then yeah. If you're looking to keep all of your current build except the gpu, i would suggest the rx560 or rx570. If you're going nvidia gtx 1050ti is fine.
Fonally someone with sense

TRENDING THREADS