Best Graphics Card with no 6 pin

JDG14

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Hi, Just a quick question.

What graphics card would suit my Intel Pentium D (LGA775) PC? I’m planning to restore this PC so my parents can have their own PC for emails and home use for a while.

Here are the specs for this PC
Intel Pentium D (LGA775)
ECS G31 Motherboard (Forgot the model)
4gb Team Elite DDR2 Ram 667 2x2
Seagate Barracuda 500gb
Tecware F3
Corsair VS450 (Pending)

I’m thinking going RX550 or GT1030? Or if there is some graphics card that you would recommend I would be gladly appreciate it.

Thanks

Solution

drbones8472

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
A 1030 would work perfectly in that build. Your only other options would be a 1050, some 1050ti's, Radeon 550, and maybe a Radeon 560. But your cheapest bet that would fit the rest of those specs the best would be the 1030 you have already selected.

A 1030 would likely be a good budget option, and since it only draws around 30 watts from the PSU under load, even the system's original power supply would more than likely be enough to run it. If the system is just for basic tasks like email, even a 1030 might technically be overkill though, and a used low-end card from a previous generation might be enough.

One other thing worth keeping in mind is that this latest generation of graphics cards dropped native support for analog connections, so if the system has an older monitor that can only connect via a VGA cable, you would need to use an active adapter to connect it to these current generation cards.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

How about none of the above. For basic email and web surfing the integrated graphics is more than enough. Unless you need an HDMI port or something like that, then I would say both of those GPUs are a complete waste of money. That CPU is such an old dog they are way overpowered for it, and they won't be gaming on it.

This right here is more than enough:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150655&ignorebbr=1

oriol.delavega

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

Processors didn't have iGPU these times. The MB could have, or not, a simple graphics chip. Most didn't.

Also, I wouldn't advise buying an outdated card as the HD5450 if the OP is planning to run Windows 10. If he's planning to install an equally outdated version of Windows (with the security risks associated), or Linux (that with open-source drivers can run in almost any hardware), then it doesn't matter. But if he's planning to run Win 10 and keeping it updated, he must know that AMD is not releasing any more drivers for these cards, so if a future Windows update breaks compatibility, it will remain broken.

If that's the case, I think the 710 is a good option as previously stated. It can be found for around $30 both at Newegg and Amazon, is a relatively modern chip which is being actively supported and does its job for web surfing, video decoding, etc. I installed one in my old rig (also LGA775, a Q9550), in my case for my mother too, and plays well along this old hardware.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The motherboard he has has an Intel Integrated Graphics 3100 Chipset onboard.

The 5450 is supported both by the first AMD Crimson as well as the Windows Generic Graphics driver which is always updated. There won't be a situation that breaks compatibility and as well its more than enough for what they need. A GT 710 will do the job for the same price too. Neither is better or worse for the situation he is in. Get whatever is cheaper.

Solution
To answer your question, the strongest would be a GTX1050ti.
But, the integrated HD3100 graphics might be the place to start if you are not playing games.
Test it out first, then decide if you want stronger graphics.

I would splurge on a ssd for windows. It makes everything feel so much quicker.

oriol.delavega

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

Then I agree, the integrated graphics is more than enough, as far as the MB has the connectors he need. About the 5450, well... I'd still be more comfortable with an actively supported product. Call it a personal option ;)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I agree for their needs I wouldn't buy the GT 710 or the 5450. I only suggested for the case that maybe they need an HDMI port, or want to hook up multiple monitors for some reason as the board has only 1 VGA out. Adapters work, sort of, but not really well.

JDG14

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks for all the answers :) I apologize for the late reply to all of you but I'll try my best to answer the other questions such as the Operating System that I'm planning to use for this one is Windows 7 or I'll opt to Linux (Ubuntu).

The main purpose of this PC is for my Family to use for school work (Powerpoint, Word, Excel), emails, and daily surfing. I don't know if Graphics is going to be a big impact for this one, that's why its the first thing that I ask. I'm not planning to play games pn this PC but if my Brothers will play, it will be DOTA2 or League of Legends. Can my old Pentium D handle this kind of games?

But to all of the answers I got here, If I'm going to stick on Integrated Graphics, then I'll just stick to other hardware upgrades.