Best Graphics Cards For The Money: April 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It's not nearly the most exciting, but I always find the low end graphics updates the most interesting. I've never had to have the latest and greatest cards but it's interesting to see how much performance one can get for so cheap these days, and it's constantly improving with trickle-down.

G

Just a thought, but maybe you could add a plot graph of performance vs. price with various cards in it. I think a visual presentation would give a better understanding when comparing cards and special deals.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]so AMD cards are still better value despite people crying about drivers and stuttering and such. Just wondering if you guys at Toms have had any driver or stuttering issues?[/citation]
Well, I've also seen people crying with blue screen issues on nVidia's side. I own numerous nVidia and AMD cards whichever had the better value at point of purchase and I can say, these people who cry and whine represent only a small percentage of the market.

Look, I'm not being bias on either side, but to say that the drivers from either company is perfect is absurd (again, not saying that you said so). Each company has its fair share of driver issues so don't let purchase be affected by drivers. More times than not, monitor calibration, games development and color profiles could be the root of issues.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I wish the graphic chips of arm powered devices could once be tested too!
A lot of gear out there that has unknown GPU's, some of which are reasonably good for the job they perform.

[citation][nom]rizlla[/nom]I'm still looking at a pair of those 6970's. So tempting.[/citation]

It was always a tie with the 6850, but all th 460s are $190 now while the 6850 is $165. Not worth a $25 price increase for te same performance

There's another reason to consider this model. Many folks have had luck modding this board into a fully-functional Radeon HD 6970 through a firmware update. If you can pull that off, the value of the 2 GB Radeon HD 6950 seems pretty clear.
Not really. The 1GB version can still unlock the shaders. Then overclock to 6970 speeds and you achieve the same result.

colanusus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I believe it should be mentioned what is the setup and the details set for these benchmarks; i.e I currently own Q6600@3.2Ghz + 4GB 800Mhz DDR2 + GTX580 + 120GB Vertex 2 SSD; I can tell you that on 1920-1080 res it can not cope with 8xMSAA and ambient occlusion on high or other such details at max; So to me Excellent or Great means that you can play at a certain resolution with everything on MAX (including aliasing, transparency, ambient light, etc)

tony singh

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I believe it should be mentioned what is the setup and the details set for these benchmarks; i.e I currently own Q6600@3.2Ghz + 4GB 800Mhz DDR2 + GTX580 + 120GB Vertex 2 SSD; I can tell you that on 1920-1080 res it can not cope with 8xMSAA and ambient occlusion on high or other such details at max; So to me Excellent or Great means that you can play at a certain resolution with everything on MAX (including aliasing, transparency, ambient light, etc)

GTX580 with q6600 & 800Mhz DDR2 ???

jonxor

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Any chance you guys will be putting the Mobile Geforce 310M onto this list any time soon? It's an extremely popular card, and I'd like to know how it performs. I keep thinking it'l be on next month's list, but it's been almost a year now.

colanusus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
upgrade is in progress; I also have Corsair AX1200, and 37" FulHD TV as monitor; waiting for Sandy Bridge E (hoping for bettern silicon than present 1155 offerings) and of course new memory and new MB; but still a quad core at 3.2Ghz with a GTX580 should fly at 1080p (at least all reviews are saying so.....)

sithtis

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
[citation][nom]colanusus[/nom]upgrade is in progress; I also have Corsair AX1200, and 37" FulHD TV as monitor; waiting for Sandy Bridge E (hoping for bettern silicon than present 1155 offerings) and of course new memory and new MB; but still a quad core at 3.2Ghz with a GTX580 should fly at 1080p (at least all reviews are saying so.....)[/citation]

I had a Q6600 OC and a GTX4601gig and 4gig of ram... i did the move to an i5 2500k and my performances really really improved its crazy. You may have a Quad core, its not the same generation... I loved my Q6600 but this new system is just insane. So get rid of your Q6600 bottlenecking your GPU before saying you cant play a game on ultra high with your top notch gtx 580

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
AMD's pricing has really shown to be detrimental to nvidia. Now the guys in green can't charge what they want for their cards and it's been fantastic for the consumers.

Nvidia has been the ones that have been lacking in terms of driver support as of late, as least when it comes to newer titles. With crossfire performance improving drastically in the 6000-series cards I bought my first ever AMD/ATi video card in 10 years. If things stay this way i won't be looking back.

AMD is cataloging and working to support new releases every week or so, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.