Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August '09

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]inmytaxi[/nom]Uh, how is this not just a listing of every card combination possible in order of price?[/citation]

It is a pity that the value of the article escapes you, but there are a *LOT* of cards on the market that are overpriced, obsolete cards that are still on the market that appear powerful to the uninformed, and cards at specific price points that don't deliver good performance compared to other cards at the same price point.

You also don't like that there are ties. Well, if two cards at the same price point have similar performance I'm not going to declare a winner just because you feel it'd be nicer that way. At many price points there aren't ties, for instance the Radeon HD 4850 is currently the best card at $100 right now. There are lots of other $100 cards, so your argument that this is a marketing driven list kind of falls apart.

I suspect you either have a good background of knowledge to fall on and the choices seem obvious to you, or perhaps you aren't aware just how many choices are actually out there available for purchase.

Either way, I've gotten a huge amount of positive feedback that suggests a good great deal of folks find this quite useful. If you're not one of them, then this article probably wasn't targeted towards you in the first place. ;)

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]werepossum[/nom]Please remember that many folks are looking to upgrade... ...Perhaps a Crossfire or SLI configuration is the best buy for a new build... ...but it's certainly not the best buy if you'd need to buy a new motherboard to use it.[/citation]

Folks without dual-card capabilities are covered quite nicely - that is why I include honorable mentions for single cards like the 4870 X2.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
[citation][nom]haplo602[/nom]way to shoot yourself in the foot ... using old ati linux drivers means you are stuck with old linux kernels and old X versions. the OSS drivers do realy not provide enough 3D support to be viable for other than X compositing.next time try to learn a bit about linux before commenting ...[/citation]

Yeh well said sir. As for your original comment I did take ATI's recent dropping of support for my X1950 Pro (512Mb) as a bit of a kick in the... Given it was their last big GPU war winning card (prior to the release of the 4xxx series of course). This meant no ATI (proprietary) drivers were compatible with the latest Ubuntu 9.04 release...

Mind you ATI 'support' for GNU/Linux never meant much anyway...

Bob

G

For me these descriptions are pretty much useless.
What is "Good 1920*1200 performance in most games" ?
If you ask me, I say 60 FPS as absolute minimum in the most demanding scenes, with higher average.
Just what exactly is "good" for T.H. ?
I always end up reading the benchmarks...

Status
Not open for further replies.