Best Graphics Cards For The Money: December 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]It's funny how ATI's fixed Crossfire scaling proves useless against Nvidia's original unimproved SLI.[/citation]

Actually, since 69XX Crossfire's scaling is more or less on par with SLI, depending on the title.

Still, I agree with SLI's merits. Of course, ATI also has its merits (far superior performance per watt and often per dollar as well for example).

It's a good time for PC enthousiasts. For the first time in months both ATI and Nvidia now have something worth buying (unlike in the original Fermi era, where ATI ruled alone).

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I still love it when you state " is the most powerful card you can buy that doesn't require an auxiliary PCIe power cable" as this is always my card of choice. The type of card simplifies things and still would think I got the best card. :p

G

they should've included the ~600$ twin 6950's.. since an extra 80$ will walk all over the geforce 580.. i know that 80$ isn't a small amount, but when you're building a pc with ~2000$ budget, two of those rather than one 580 does seem pretty logical...

nafhan

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Just a thought about the Sandy Bridge comment at the start of the article:
It looks like Sandy Bridge may be in the same performance category as the truly low end discrete parts (i.e. Radeon 5450/GT 210). That's a huge improvement for Intel IGP's (and IGP's in general), but those GPU's are basically to slow for gaming and much slower than the 4650. So, I don't think Sandy Bridge should impact the recommendation for the 4650.

gxpbecker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Love the compition between AMD/Nvidia

Dear Tom's
Please for the love of everything holy remove those Jump ads afeter EVERY page change. Thanks - frustrated Tom's User

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]It's funny how ATI's fixed Crossfire scaling proves useless against Nvidia's original unimproved SLI.[/citation]

ATI has finally remedied that problem. So I don't see how its "useless"
go ahead and check the benchmarks with the 6850's CF and the 1GB 460's
SLI. At this point any gamer should really just decide on price and maybe Physx if the gamers personal preferences desire it.

I appreciate the addition of power-usage remarks among the recommendations. With multiple cards able to provide the required performance, power usage becomes a valid criterion for making a final selection. All else being [effectively] equal, there is no sane reason not to choose the card that draws less power.

Good list. This is the one thing I hate about PCs... I just got two 5850s for $299 each back in April/May which was a great deal at the time... Now I could get more for less. Oh well, the good news is they're able to crush anything I throw at them so I can't really complain. Still... 6950s at that price point makes me sad lol.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Toms- you dropped the ball here on the 450/5750. The reviews actually show the 5750 and 450 to be very close in single card configurations, but show the 5750 PULLING AHEAD in dual card configurations. You state the opposite in this article. Might be worth an edit here.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

which is a direct product of AMD's terrible driver support, AMD/ATI needs to exert more effort in driver development, and driver optimization. Their hardware has always been great, software support on the otherhand has always been where they are lacking.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I would suggest Tom's Hardware talk to a lawyer or a consumer association and ask them what is the legal status of a consumer that gets a Beta driver in the CD that accompanies the Graphics Card, or must use a hotfix driver for it to work, as opposed to a WHQL driver.

If the card fries (remember, driver problems like these can happen, as it happened to Nvidia a few months ago), and you're not using a WHQL driver, what rights do you have ? This is very dubious, especially given the legal definition of Beta and of Hotfix as the manufacturers say themselves.

I would strongly advise Tom's against recommending either HD6950 or 6970 for now, because that is exactly how they are. AMD released a card to the market with drivers that are not final, which I think is not only absurd, but an abuse on consumer's rights.

And they try to somewhat hide this reality, that is they haven't fully tested the drivers.

Look at the original disclaimer on the Catalyst 10.10e:

"Note! This hotfix is provided as is and is not supported by AMD. It has not completed full AMD testing and is only a driver update. "

(http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/gpu88-catalyst-10-10e-hotfix.aspx)

And they have always said this. But now, it's quite different for 10.12a:

"Note! This hotfix is provided “AS IS” in accordance with the End User License Agreement."

(http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1012ahotfix.aspx )

Now you have to go read the fine print if you want to know what AMD previously told users and now wants to hide.

I, like many others here, don't like Nvidia's corporate behaviour from the last years, and have voiced it many times here. And I actually had some sympathy towards AMD, but this just proves that they just wanted to release the cards before Christmas, no matter the cost.

Very dubious behaviour. Even more dubious when you consider that they released Catalyst 10.12 one single day before the HD6950 and 6970 and those drivers do not have support for those cards. You have to resort to the Hotfix (10.12a) that came out two days later or the beta that came on the CD, whose legal status in protecting the consumer I question. Isn't this a very fishy release schedule ? I think it is.

At least Nvidia has a WHQL driver for both the GTX 570 and 580, I'll give them that!

I would only buy an HD69xx series when they have a WHQL driver. Making consumers free guinea pigs for a paid product (unlike, i.e., Windows 7 Beta, which was free) is not my notion of respecting the consumer. (And it's not about drivers always having bugs, they always have, that's not the point. It's: 1. a consumer protection legal point and 2. the fact that AMD states that they haven't fully tested the drivers themselves, which is just outright unnacceptable.)

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]Good list. This is the one thing I hate about PCs... I just got two 5850s for $299 each back in April/May which was a great deal at the time... Now I could get more for less. Oh well, the good news is they're able to crush anything I throw at them so I can't really complain. Still... 6950s at that price point makes me sad lol.[/citation]

That is the curse that PC hardware has. It almost feels like the second you buy something the next generation is out. But requirements don't change very rapidly for software including games its always a rather slow and gradual process while hardware just keeps pumping out like
if on steroids. Its really more of a finical matter than anything if they don't keep releasing new hardware than sales decline
while employees pay and other costs of operations still rack up.

jumbocrab

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
so if ati and nvidia are about equal in performance, why do we only see nvidia cards in the system builder marathons? Wouldn't it make more sense to go with ati due to less power usage and lower temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.