Best Graphics Cards For The Money: June '09

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It is really annoying to have the "see more products" table before the previous page/article index/next page selection. Its like you are trying to trick people into clicking on them. shady.
Also just a fyi, for best cards for $455 you state it is 2 4890's in crossfire, but your table directly underneath says 4850 X2 2 GB.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]t-train[/nom]If you were able to purchase 2 4770s, which you still recommend the now cheaper 4850s? Even with 1GB per card, they still seem to lose to 2 * 4770s http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/v [...] firex.htmlSeems like you getting a bad deal paying an extra 2 * $30 for 4850s that consume more power and perform similarly.[/citation]

Feel free to check out this one, as well: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4770-crossfire,2288.html

If you already bought the 4770s, then you got a great deal--probably in the neighborhood of $99 apiece. Unfortunately, they've since gone up in price to reflect current supply.

This month's recommendations reflect the current state of the market, where you have to take into account few, if any, 4770s available for purchase and a load of 4850s that were beaten down in price as a result of the 4770s and actually *are* available. =)

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I swear I've read that article before. A little copy here and a little paste there. That said when not much changes, there's not much point in changing a good article.

G

I don't see how there can be a "tie" between 4650ddr3 and 9500gt.4650ddr3 is quite a bit faster than 95gt.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
So since 4850 has replaced 4770 I've got to ask - do versions of this card exist, that clock down in 2d mode like the 4770? or are all of those 'better' cards 4 times as hungry in idle mode?

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
yay my GTX 275 SLI made the list finally. You don't have to tell me about falling 4850 prices, it's killing me because I got a pair I am selling now. Bought for 160 each, 30 MIR each, trying to sell for 85 each!

Its a sad reason, but I am pretty much upgrading because:
1) I can
2) I play Crysis a lot and need more than 4850 CF
3) I play Crysis a lot on a 24" monitor

Have to enjoy being a kid as long as I can ;)

glawk

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
"We acknowledge that recommendations for multiple video cards, such as two Radeon cards in CrossFire mode or two GeForce cards in SLI mode, typically require a motherboard that supports CrossFire or SLI and a case with more space to install multiple graphics cards. They also require a beefier power supply compared to what a single card requires and will likely produce more heat than a single card."

If you acknowledge it, how can you continue to recommend 2 cards when there are so many intangibles regarding total cost? Even single-card SLI solutions are not without their issues as well (microstutter, buggy performance and support in some games).

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
...as the Radeon HD 4850's competition (the GeForce GTS 250) starts at $150 for both the 512 MB and 1 GB versions, oddly enough.
Really? I just bought a GTS 250 for someone else and it was only $129. No rebate required.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
whenever people criticize TH, I just think about how great the video card articles are, and how wrong the critics are. can someone tell me which GeForce cards have an HDMI on them?

[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]can someone tell me which GeForce cards have an HDMI on them?[/citation]
All of them. Even if they don't have the port, DVI is the same as HDMI, and you can purchase (and most of the time they come with the card) an adapter between the two interfaces.

Nice article. Over time you've seemed to manage to accommodate everyone - fanboys, single pci-e's, and duals. I think these are written well and well thought out.

[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom] DVI is the same as HDMI[/citation]
Well, DVI lacks audio. But they're electrically compatible, both digital and such. Hopefully you know what I mean.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Can't complain, i still have my 8800GT and its working flawlessly. The only thing i hate about it is the fan...very inadequate cooling. Raising the fan speed makes it loud, but i'm used to it now. It plays everything from Cysis, GTA4, Assassins Creed and tons more perfectly ^_^

This list is about price/performance tiers. To that end, you neel to include ALL the costs. The sli/cf solutions initially look good because they do not include all the costs. I would suggest that those entries be adjusted by the extra costs associated with dual cards:
1)PSU upgrade $30.
2)mobo with dual pci-e slots/sli license. $20.
3)increased case cooling $20.
------total about $70.

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
@ Kill@dor

you could not be more correct...i love my 8800gt and i dont see a time to upgrade until gt300 era. i have to admit that the G92 core, while it kicks A$$ it has inadequate cooling...i'm in the process of looking for a nice after market cooler and another 8800gt...for SLI!

I wouldn't buy any PSU that was $30, and I don't know where you found a mohterboard for $20.

But this is about price/performance tiers of graphics cards...not of upgrade paths. There's just too many variables if you add that junk in there.

@frozenleads: I am referring to a price delta for a new build, not an upgrade. The $30 psu number is the additional price that you might expect to pay for a sli capable psu vs. one suitable for only one card.
No doubt there are many variables, but ignoring the extra costs is not correct either.

Status
Not open for further replies.