Best Graphics Cards For The Money: November '09

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 monthly articles by Mr. Woligroski (Best Graphic Cards for the Money and Best Gaming CPUs for the Money) are some of the best and most informative articles here at THW and should be required reading for anyone posting questions about a new gaming build or an gaming upgrade.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
A year and a half ago when I upgraded my 8800gt to a 9800gtx+ that card was considered one of the best and most efficient at a pricing/preformance standpoint. Now that card or any of its counterparts are nowhere to be seen..... Good job Ati for putting out the dismal 4850.....

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
would also be noteworthy to mention that the 58xx cards can be xfired for even better futureproofing. Honorable mention at 5850 290, recommended at $580 imo since its considerably faster than the 295 for $120 extra.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
It makes sense to put the 5800 cards as honorable mentions, after all they are extremely hard to find online..I'm waiting to see their performance in DX11 games, probably I'll wait for the 2Gb version of 5870.

G

To Nivdia.

ATI

Merry Xmas from ATI, 2009

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Great article again. The ever changing GPU market keeps us on our toes.

Is there any merrit to suggesting CF setups with the note of minimum PCIe lanes? I know once you get into the boards that really start to saturate the lanes, you're in a budget that shouldn't be using x8/x8, but it might be worth noting when that happens.

Typo?
The 9600GSO is listed with a 256bit memory bandwidth. Never seen anything higher than 192.

coconutboy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Hey Don, question/comment. It's great to have mobile and integrated chipsets added to the hierarchy chart, but the huge amount of added text saying "discrete" makes things less readable. I think a good compromise would be to have a note at the top or bottom of the chart saying that all parts listed are assumed to be discrete unless otherwise noted. This will have the added benefit of making it easier to spot the mobile/integrated chipsets for those who are actually interested.

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Ok, how likely is it that we'll be seeing exclusive DX11 games anytime in the next five years? The 5800 series gets a mention here because of their DirectX11 compatibility as 'Futureproofing'. I strongly suspect that even if games are released with DX11 support, they will run just fine on 9 and 10. That being said, we're probably better off with a pair of 4890's rather than a single 5870.

Zenthar

Distinguished
I'd like to point out that for really high resolution like 2560x1600, the limited 512MB of the 4870 in crossfire could be a limiting factor. Then again, if you were planning on spending only 250$ on a card to play at that resolution, you might be delusional :p.

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]donovands[/nom]4890 x2 not on the list. Should be tier 1.[/citation]
The chart only include single cards, the X2 presents are for dual-GPU cards. Since there is no dual-gpu card based on the 4890, it isn't present. But if you are eager to see ATI on top, wait for the 5970 (aka 5870X2 ;)).

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]manwell999[/nom]September's hierarchy had the GTX295 one level above the 4870x2, this month they are on the same level.[/citation]

You noticed that, huh? :)

Yes, I went and ran a ton of cuurent results through a spreadsheet. To my surprise, there was less than a 5% performance spread between the 295 and the 4870 X2. Looks like ATI's drivers have pushed the card in the past months, or maybe I just assumed a bigger performance spread between the two cards. In any case, I tweaked the heirarchy to reflect that.

The sad part is, based on availability it looks like the 4870 X2 is being end-of-lined. :(

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]dirtmountain[/nom]The 2 monthly articles by Mr. Woligroski (Best Graphic Cards for the Money and Best Gaming CPUs for the Money) are some of the best and most informative articles here at THW and should be required reading for anyone posting questions about a new gaming build or an gaming upgrade.[/citation]

Thanks dirt! very kind of you to say. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.