Question Best GSYNC 1080p 120hz monitor?

Feb 2, 2019
Hey guys, I'm looking for a high refresh rate, GSync compatible monitor at 1080p.

Tried doing my own research and can only find 1440p monitors or REALLY HIGH refresh rates (144hz) monitors and I'm not too sure if my computer can handle it.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: B450m Mortar
RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM 3100Mhz
GPU: NVIDIA 1060 6GB
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Micron SSD

I get pretty damn good performance on a lot of games here at 1080p, so I really don't want a 1440p monitor because I feel like I'll need to upgrade and I just recently spent a lot of money on these parts. Not sure if I'd be able to do 144hz either, but it seems impossible to find a monitor with the specs I want.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations? Would I just be better off upgrading my GPU?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Does it HAVE to be GSync? Considering that the 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards now support FreeSync, and that GSync carries a price premium, would you consider a FreeSync monitor?

That said, I don't think a 1060 is going to do a whole lot with high refresh rates even at 1080p. I'd say get one with a good quality display, and even if it has higher refresh rates, if it's NOT more expensive than slower ones, go for it.

You can then cap the frames at, say, 75 or 60fps so that the card won't run at 100% trying to hit some super-high frame rate.

How high of a refresh at 1080p were you looking for?

Reactions: degialloldongs
Feb 2, 2019
Does it HAVE to be GSync? Considering that the 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards now support FreeSync, and that GSync carries a price premium, would you consider a FreeSync monitor?

That said, I don't think a 1060 is going to do a whole lot with high refresh rates even at 1080p. I'd say get one with a good quality display, and even if it has higher refresh rates, if it's NOT more expensive than slower ones, go for it.

You can then cap the frames at, say, 75 or 60fps so that the card won't run at 100% trying to hit some super-high frame rate.

How high of a refresh at 1080p were you looking for?

Thanks for the response. Right now I'm just looking for anything above 60hz which is what I have now. The monitor I'm using right now is old at this point so anything would be an improvement. And won't freesync not work with an nvidia card?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I seriously doubt you will be able to get 120 fps with a GTX 1060.
I had a GTX 1060 and had to run games at medium settings to get 60 fps on my 1080p/60 Hz monitor.
Now I have a GTX 1660 Ti Armor OC and I get anywhere from 85 to 120 fps at Ultra in current games.
So unless you upgrade your GPU a 120 Hz monitor would just be a waste of money unless you want it for a better GPU in the future.

Feb 2, 2019
I seriously doubt you will be able to get 120 fps with a GTX 1060.
I had a GTX 1060 and had to run games at medium settings to get 60 fps on my 1080p/60 Hz monitor.
Now I have a GTX 1660 Ti Armor OC and I get anywhere from 85 to 120 fps at Ultra in current games.
So unless you upgrade your GPU a 120 Hz monitor would just be a waste of money unless you want it for a better GPU in the future.

Ahhh I didn't even know that refresh rate was tied to framerate. I'm pretty noob at monitors and they are so confusing between TN and IPS and refresh rate and response time and all that stuff. I guess i can just stick with 60hz for now until I upgrade my GPU!

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
You can still run games at 60 Hz on a 120Hz monitor but I personally just don't see the point.
Disadvantage
A disadvantage is that the 120Hz monitor will cost more than a 60Hz monitor. Likewise, if all the games you play run at 60 frames per second or lower, then a 120Hz won’t make your gaming experience better.
In some cases, your graphics card could limit the frame rate. Upgrading to a monitor with a higher frame rate won’t make much difference.
From this article:

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It used to be the case that Nvidia didn't play with FreeSync, but after the driver updates some time back, they allowed their 10 series, 16 series, and 20 series cards to work with FreeSync.

Still, given the info, it might be best to hold off until you can upgrade the video card and the monitor at the same time. No point in buying them piecemeal unless there's some absolutely insane deal that pops up. Typically, whatever money you would spend today will be able to buy more powerful/more capable hardware if spent, say, a year from now.

For now, your current video card is good for your current 60Hz monitor. I say save up. It gives you time to do a little more research, to settle on what size, resolution, and refresh rate of monitor that you want, and what video card to get to go with it.