Best GTX 1080 for Silverstown GD09 Case (Air vs Blow)

Mandini

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Greetings,

Will be building an HTPC for the living room, and based on the TV's furniture dimensions, it appears the GD09 case by Silverstone is the best fit.

In terms of airflow, there will be two 120mm Noctuas pushing air in on one side, a 120 SilenX (38mm thick) fan pushing air in on the other side, and two 80mm exhaust fans on the back. CPU will be air-cooled with a dual fan Noctua NH-L12.

Will be going for a GTX 1080 and I'm just lost on whether an FE or an air-cooled non-ref. card would be more appropriate for this case/build.

I guess I should note that it would be nice to have the potential to SLI in the future. And also that the back of the GD09 case will be about 3.5 inches from the back wall of the furniture, which I'm not sure is enough space to exhaust all the heat from the FE without having too much hot air trapped.

Thanks for reading, and any suggestions or thoughts are more than welcome :)

With all the limitations you described, seems like any non oversized 1080 will work (just pay attention to the 12.5" length limit in that case).
those cards should be fine:
blower type EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING
open coolers:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING ACX 3.0
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0
how about building it in Fractal Design Define S nano case ?
That is an excellent mini ITX case with enough space and airflow for everything. if it fits the furniture.
blower can get noisy when under load.

Mandini

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

Really like Fractal cases, and the nano looks great; unfortunately it won't fit the furniture setup :/

...I guess since a custom card will do just as well in my build and with less noise than an FE, I think I'll go with an EVGA as they seem to have a great warranty.
I'm just wondering why you didn't list the EVGA FTW, I gotta check the differences.