Best GTX 560 ti?

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
what manufacturer is the best?
i want it to be USD $239.99 or less, pre-rebate, BTW.
I've been looking at the MSI twin frozr II and the EVGA superclocked, but i'm really paranoid about failure rates and the reviews on newegg come up every once in a while with failures or high temps.
what manufacturer will i have the best chances with? (good performance and temps below 80-90 degrees celcius average under load.)

Solution
I just got my GTX 560ti today, and its a twin frozr variant.

Haven't had a huge amount of time with it yet, but im impressed so far. Load temps below 60 degrees while overclocked to 950mhz. pretty amazing if you ask me. Definitely recommend it.

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
:p this might just be me being a paranoid freak, but the twin frozr seems to have a high failure rate according to the reviews.
I.E: failing/artifacing in under 1 week or month.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
I just got my GTX 560ti today, and its a twin frozr variant.

Haven't had a huge amount of time with it yet, but im impressed so far. Load temps below 60 degrees while overclocked to 950mhz. pretty amazing if you ask me. Definitely recommend it.

Solution

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

kk, yeah i might order it soon, i just have no idea which one lol. I'm leaning towards the frozr II now, been reading more reviews.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
The actual failure rate on video cards from reputable manufacturers is <5%. Customer reviews on Newegg/Amazon/wherever are a terrible indicator; most people only post reviews for two reasons, either to brag about their overclock of that product or their system in general, or because they were in the smallest minority of people who think their product is defective. Of these, the majority have a severe case of pebkac, as 100% of units shipped by big-name companies (MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc.) work when they leave the factory. Just a couple things to keep in mind, don't think that some crazy number like 13% of a certain model of video card arrive defective.

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

:p, thanks for the explanation lol, but are you sure that most cards will not have problems after running for about 1 week- 1month? i want to keep this card in my system
for another 1-2 years.

QUICK EDIT: I might go with the EVGA version.....

cuecuemore

Distinguished
That's a good point, what I said mostly applied to DOA statistics. I would go through reviews for specific cards you're interested in and see if there's a common thread among cards that have failed within a short time after receipt. Again, there's a human error factor involved in this as well. I once had two cards running in SLI fine for a couple months and then one day my computer simply refused to acknowledge that one of them was there. All it needed was a simple reseat, but my first instinct was "OMG, I have to RMA it!!" and so many people immediately rush to that.

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Alright, so i'm going with the MSI twin frozr, but welshmouse, if there's any sort of problem, can you help me out by telling me? i'm going to order it on the first week of November.

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

kk thanks. i might order it today ( 30th of october) cause i'm really excited to try it out.

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

yeah, there seems to be a rather startling, imo, amount of reviews that say the card dies after 1 week to 3-4 months, and multiple failed RMA cards. most of the failed reviews i have currently read are from the beginning/middle of this month (october right now). i might try either boosting the voltage, as some google searches have shown some cores are unstable at factory voltage, or reseating the card ( like you said, as did one other recent review.)

QUICK EDIT: i still haven't bought the card. Any other tips, info, and suggestions are welcome.

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

yeah, i heard about that one, however, i want to be able to play skyrim and BF3 soon with decent settings. do you know an exact/ estimated release date for the 448 cores?

Well, you have almost two weeks until Skyrim comes out. Maybe give it a week or two to see if a release date on the 448 core model is published.

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

:p yeah, i'm currently waiting for a newegg sale, seems like they peak in november.

nged72

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I have had the Twin Frozer III Hawk 560ti for 31 days, 1 day past the return policy of Newegg and it crapped out on me :(

Also I mailed in the Rebate stuff so newegg wont do a exchange (RMA)

2vkxerl.jpg

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Well,before you do anything else, did you reseat the card,try the cold reboot, and use older drivers?
Thanks for posting this, I still haven't ordered the card. Try the things I mentioned, I heard they might fix the prob.
If all else fails, you can still RMA it to msi (I think).

nged72

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Yea, I booted to safe mode with my 8800GTS and 560 and deleted the drivers for the 560. The card would not even boot then at all.

I loaded into windows on my 8800GTS and installed other drivers (later dated ones) for the 560 and still got the lines when i rebooted with the card.

nged72

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

Oh btw, the picture i listed is when the computer is loading up, BIOS, so I don't believe it is a driver issue

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Try changing the DVI-I port you're using, i heard that might work.
I saw a video and a review and from both i can see that the memory has no contact with the cooler or any cooling of it's own, so i expect it's the memory that's gone bad.