Best Hard Drive for this Motherboard?

head2toewinner

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I am building a computer and right now I'm looking at the Asus P5n3-3 SLI Plus Motherboard... What I need to know is which would be the best Hard drive to buy? I am looking for at leat 250 GB maybe 4 or 5 hundred GB. I am just confusedd because on TigerDirect it says that it works with Serial ATA but down at the bottom it says UDMA/33 or UDMA/66 or UDMA/100 or UDMA/133.

Mondoman

Splendid
UDMA means IDE/PATA, not SATA, as you noticed. Probably the *best* hard drive to buy is one of the 10krpm Raptors, but they are VERY expensive. Other than that, Seagates have a 5 year warranty.

As a side note, Tiger Direct probably isn't the cheapest place to buy things.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I've had very good luck with Seagate. Agree with mondoman, Tiger Direct is not likely the cheapest. If you're in the US, check newegg. I've started using 2 drives, a smaller one for the OS/programs and the 2nd larger for data. Avoids a lot of hassles with you have to reinstall Windows

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I've used alot of hard drives and the seagate 320 is the best so far,very impressed and it has a 5 year warrenty....gl

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Indeed..I've had many drives in the past from IBM, Western Digital, Maxtor, and Seagate. So far half my WD drives have died, All my maxtors (worst brand ever...although seagate bought them out recently)...All my seagate drives are alive and kicking. two of which in a raid 0 atm..And have seen 6 years worth of useage and work flawlessly still. I was so impressed I nabbed two 500 gigabyte seagate drives 7 or 8 months back...damn good drives.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Couldn't find that specific mobo but all new boards support SATA drives. The problem with new boards is that they only have one ATA connector so you can't connect more than 2 devices

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004

I tried to Google that board and it doesn't exist. Post the right model. If it is a current board it will support SATA. SATA can, and most often does, run UDMA/IDE on the desktop, it is not limited to PATA. If you want the additional features of SATA like hot swap NCQ etc. you need to run AHCI. Don't bother it's not worth it for a desktop.

Some light reading here -> Serial ATA.

How much do you want to spend on the drive? If you let us know you will get better suggestions.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Well, knowing what I know, the P5 in the model number means that its designed for Socket 775 and the "n" would suggest an Nvidia chipset. I'd hope that any half-way decent motherboard for S775 would have SATA since plenty or even MOST older S478/S754 have SATA.

-mcg

head2toewinner

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks a lot I figured the same thing. I thought it seem kind of new to only support an IDE but I wanted to make sure. The other thing I was wondering about and I realize that I am going to sound like a complete idiot but I am putting together my first build here and I was wondering if when I bought the hard drive and the motherboard it would come with all the cables to connect the two as well as the power supply that I am buying coming with all the cables to connect to everything else.

So basically what I really need to know is if I need to buy any extra internal cables? I have all the external cables already.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

My experience has been when you buy a retail mobo it comes with the cables, at least ASUS and MSI, but as Zorg said check the mfg website