arkaus15

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
PSU: CX Series™ Modular CX750M ATX Power Supply
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB Duel Channel DDR3 1600MHz
CPU COOLER: Corsair H60 Liquid CPU cooler.
MOBO: Foxconn H67M
HD: Seagate ST500DM002 3.5 inch 500GB Hard Drive. 7200RPM.

My computer is slow, to the point of opening a new tab in Google chrome can make it freeze.. and its a good computer.. i think. Just spent allot of money upgrading it.. So any suggestions as i think it could be the Hard drive making the computer slow? Good temperatures also.. 30-40 max.

Solution

Your focused on hardware when the problem is software. Follow these:

Remove whatever AV your using and go to www.filehippo.com and download AVIRA...

SirGetch

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
In my experience, Seagate drives have been known to speed up due to a weird glitch, and never want to stop till they feel like it. They will ramp up to 100% RPM and let little if any data be read that you need then.

It could be the drive... do you have a spare that you can test it with? If not, you could always take the 60 dollar drive back. :D

arkaus15

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014

I dont have a spare no. But i thought my pc was been slow because of the stock cooler i had. Then i got a luquid cooler. Temps are good now, but still MY computer is slow, and it shouldnt be right? I mean its a veyr good PC if it was performing correctly? Could it be something to do with the HD or do you think it is something els?

SirGetch

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

It's easy to see if it is the CPU... first search power options on Windows. Click it, and make sure performance mode is on. Now right click your task bar, open task manager, and watch your CPU to see if it spikes to 100%. If not, it's the CPU.

Now check the disk section in the performance tab, does it cap out? Is it above 50% at all times?

Now if you wanna make a hard drive fast again, you will have to clean it up, defrag it, and delete files you don't need. Basically organize stuff. Glary Utilites is a good option. It has one click maintaince (make sure every thing is checked to check) and it will do most of every thing for you...

You can do this, and some other things (bit more advanced), or get a new drive. Maybe even a SSD, which are more expensive, but are 5x faster and way more reliable.

arkaus15

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014

Thanks so much for the time and help.I made sure my computer was on " High Performance " and my CPU went up to about 40% - 50% but not 100% maybe i did the test wrong or something. Not sure? Any thoughts?

Your focused on hardware when the problem is software. Follow these:

Remove whatever AV your using and go to www.filehippo.com and download AVIRA (Highly recommend), Comodo, Panda or AVG (AVAST! got hacked so I do NOT recommend them). and do a full system scan - this repeatedly has resolved alot of people issue relying on MS Essentials or have REPEATEDLY replied that it was Norton getting in the way.

Download Malwarebytes do a full system scan (AV doesn't pick up alot of malware) - this resolved almost ALL other similiar posts to date as most had Malware the AV didn't pick up.

Repeat the AV/Malware scans till the system comes up clean.

Did you install all Windows Updates? Including options except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.

Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update

Solution