[SOLVED] Best Hardware for a Zotac GTX 1070TI AMP Edition 8gb

Dec 1, 2018
Hey guys,
I´m currently looking for a Motherboard CPU and Ram for my first Gaming PC.
I´ve already bought an 1070ti on sale last week and now im wondering what components i should buy further. I´m a casual gamer playing on a 32zoll full hd screen. But I´m willing to spend a little bit more on the other components if it allows me to switch my GPU in a few years without upgrading every single component. So would an I7 8700k/9700k for example be already too much for my actual GTX 1070ti?
Thanks for your Advise and Help

Solution
There are CPU intensive games, that require a super strong CPU. Overall you could have no issues with even a i5 with that GPU.

But if you wanna go for long time and not have to waste money on new RAM/CPU/etc (Like I am in the situation now) get the 8700k, I'm not impressed with the 9700k and get a nice looking motherboard https://www.faceofit.com/best-z370-chipset-motherboards/ I have an Aorus GPU and I think they are a pretty good company.

I still have my 4770k and can't really find a good reason to upgrade yet. So if you don't feel like upgrading, get the top tier CPU and a motherboard to match. Otherwise go for a i5 and a medium range motherboard. A good Intel CPU will last you over 7 years.

Cioby

Distinguished
There are CPU intensive games, that require a super strong CPU. Overall you could have no issues with even a i5 with that GPU.

But if you wanna go for long time and not have to waste money on new RAM/CPU/etc (Like I am in the situation now) get the 8700k, I'm not impressed with the 9700k and get a nice looking motherboard https://www.faceofit.com/best-z370-chipset-motherboards/ I have an Aorus GPU and I think they are a pretty good company.

I still have my 4770k and can't really find a good reason to upgrade yet. So if you don't feel like upgrading, get the top tier CPU and a motherboard to match. Otherwise go for a i5 and a medium range motherboard. A good Intel CPU will last you over 7 years.

Solution
Dec 1, 2018

Thanks for the fast answer!
I did a little bit of research and this what i am going to get myself most likely.
I set myself a limit of 1500€, so i think this setup will do it.

GTX 1070ti zotac amp edition 400€ 180W
Gigabyte Z370-HD3 Motherboard 117€
Intel Core i7-8700K, 6x 3.70GHz, boxed 439€ 100W
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 110€
be quiet! Straight Power 11 550W ATX 2.4 97€
be quiet! Silent Base 801 rot, Glasfenster, schallgedämmt 140€

For now ~1300€

What do you think about it?

Cioby

Distinguished
PSU is a bit low, I'd get at least 750 if you wanna keep it for longer and not have to upgrade. But seems like PSU prices are a bit high at this point. Get a 700-750 with Gold 2 at least and you're fine. I myself use 850W but I bought it while the 980Ti was using a lot more power.

You need to add €80-100 worth of cooler to run that 8700k & personally I think that board isn't really good enough.

The 8700k is a very hot running cpu with high power draw.

Also if you are always going to play on a 60htz screen it's overly expensive & compete overkill.

I'd look at a ryzen 2600,2600x or even a 2700/2700x (if you want absolute future proofing).

They're all cheaper than that i7, will run a 1080ti on a 60htz screen easily & all come with decent coolers included.

Cioby

Distinguished
I've had a worse motherboard it's now as old as my i7 4770k. CPU has been OC since I bought it can even go up to 4600 (+1100 Mhz) with a pretty cheap Arctic 4 cooler. Unless you have actual facts to sustain your claims, like why the motherboard is bad and why Ryzen is better, Idk how you claim a CPU that's genuinely "new" is "future proof" when Intel uses the same recipe for years and still runs great. That's also a reason I suggest 8700k not 9700k. Plus it's cheaper.

And with that spec he can easily play 60+ fps or higher resolutions. Unless you do intensive workloads, you don't need that Ryzen. Then again it's your choice, what company you trust or prefer. Never heard Intel users having to fix their PC and work on different RAM frequencies to make their NEW CPU work properly, yet many Ryzen users do complain about it (and that's the least of their modifications or work they need to do to just make it work AS INTENDED).

The fact is hes listing that i7 at €439.

+ another €50 minimum to keep temps under control.

That's €500+ to play on a 60htz 1080p TV.

That is mental overkill when a ryzen 2600 will do 60fps on any game out there at half the price.

Also I wouldn't pair the 8700k on a budget Gigabyte motherboard, it's not dire but it's not particularly good either.

Nothing against the 8700k at all, it's a great cpu if you have an actual need for it - meaning if you're pushing 144htz screens for example, but it's overtly expensive.

In this case though it is a wasteful amount of money for the op's actual usage scenario.

Cioby

Distinguished
Yes but he asked for future proof. Meaning he might upgrade at one moment and get an even better GPU or monitor. And he's gaming not working on it. Therefore Intel is still better and as someone with a 7 years old CPU running OC and at 30 degrees idle or 40 with minimal watching movies/twitch I can say I recommend Intel's stuff rather than a brand new Ryzen that many people have had a lot of issues with or that requires you to do a lot of modifications and install this and do that, just to make it run normally. Which is what I've seen in many many places.

In the end, it's his choice. Motherboard can also be changed later yet mine is like ASROCK Z87 PRO3 super old, mediocre, can run anything, works with 1080ti, overclocks well, I mostly just get annoyed I don't have a M2 slot or I have that bad back of the case where I have holes because of the old format. I'd upgrade it but there are none better for that old soket and it still works perfectly. If he wants to go all in, he could get an Aorus motherboard which is cheaper than Asus but looks as good and I trust Aorus as a company.

Dec 1, 2018
Thanks for your suggestions guys,
As Cioby mentioned the reason why i would invest a little bit more into the Cpu is that i would like to upgrade in a few years and use that gpu for my spare pc im using ocassionaly for Lan-partys. I don´t know very much about motherboards but i thought this one was mid class budget and fits for the cpu. Why the 200€+ motherboards do better ? Do you think i should upgrade it? The reason i choose this Case is bc my friend has one and is very happy with it because it´s silenced and has a lots of slots for fan´s because as you guys mentioned i will need a little cooling power.
Thank you for your help i´ll let you know what i chose when I´m done and if it was worth it :)