Question Best headphones under 300 and should I upgrade

pullanisu

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
So I currently have a pair of Audio-Technica M40X but I'm looking to maybe upgrade. Any suggestions for good headphones? I don't play any competitive team based games whatsoever so I have no need for a good mic (currently have the blue yeti anyways). budget is 300 and they should be over ear. A good frequency range and frequency response is also preferred.

Apr 13, 2019
get the hyper x cloud alpha's. those things are amazing just look up you tube reviews. there frank p's favourite and hyper x themselves are just a great company in general as i have the hyper x cloud 2 and i can proudly say they are amazing.

pullanisu

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
get the hyper x cloud alpha's. those things are amazing just look up you tube reviews. there frank p's favourite and hyper x themselves are just a great company in general as i have the hyper x cloud 2 and i can proudly say they are amazing.
but I dont really need or want gaming headphones, I mostly travel and just listen to music overall

Apr 12, 2019
checked them, no proper noise cancellation and a quite meh frequency response other than the bass, and I dont listen to music with a lot of bass

So you'd like a pair that's closed-back with neutral or recessed bass? Are you going to use them strictly at your desk, or would you like some portability? Under 300Euro ~ $335 USD?

Last edited:

pullanisu

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
So you'd like a pair that's closed-back with neutral or recessed bass? Are you going to use them strictly at your desk, or would you like some portability? Under 300Euro ~ $335 USD?
I want a good mid and at least decent treble, portability is pretty much a must, won't use that much on desk since I'm studying&doing school work quite often. And yes closed back, ~300€ or less

Apr 12, 2019
These are a few that fit your criteria. I'm curious to see what others put as well.
As far as how well they suit your needs, you'll have to look at professional reviews on them, youtube or trusted sites.

V-Moda M-100s Portable, somewhat stylish
V-Moda Crossfade LPs Both of these V-Modas are perfect for traveling.
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s Somewhat stylish, wireless or wired, active noise cancellation
Sennheiser HD598 Cs Still portable, easy to power/drive, I love the open-back HD598 Ivory so I assumed the closed-back design's frequency wouldn't be far off
ATH-M50x Obviously.
Meze 99s A bit big for portable, but can be powered easily.
Ultrasone 780s Great for travel, easily powered, probably Ultrasone's best sounding model.
NAD Viso HP50

Do let us know what you end up with. Happy Hunting!

D

Deleted member 14196

i have ATH M50X, and the Status Audio CB-1 sounds better and are much more comfortable. I also use Schiit Audio Modi Multibit DAC and Schiit Magni AMP equipment to drive them. The M50X earcups hurt my ears after a long time.

plus the M50X wiring act like a big antenna and induce RF noise onto the audio when you turn up and down the volume, the CB-1s don't

Apr 12, 2019
i have ATH M50X, and the Status Audio CB-1 sounds better and are much more comfortable. I also use Schiit Audio Modi Multibit DAC and Schiit Magni AMP equipment to drive them. The M50X earcups hurt my ears after a long time.

plus the M50X wiring act like a big antenna and induce RF noise onto the audio when you turn up and down the volume, the CB-1s don't

pullanisu, this is the type of feedback that helps you decide. Actually, have you thought of having a pair of In-Ear Monitors? You can allocate your budget towards a decent set of cans like the V-Modas and a pair of good IEMs too.

TBH Mandark, I never liked the ATH-Mxx models. It was really uncomfortable, the sound signature was not to my liking, and I found better solutions around or under that price - granted they were open-back and not closed. I'm all about open-back personally; if I need portability, I use my IEMs.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Beyer DTs, 250 Ohms. How's that Magni treating you? I was thinking about grabbing the B-stock Modi and Magni.

D

Deleted member 217926

The M50X is fine for monitoring but it's a terrible headphone for pleasure listening.

Closed back, portable and in your price range doesn't leave many choices.

Sony MDR1A. Warm and bassy with decent highs and mids. Comfortable.

Meze 99 Classics. There is also the Massdrop version which is the Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir. At $200 it still might be cheaper for you after tax and import fees than the 99 Classics ( same headphone, different paint and cable. 99 Noir also includes extra pads). Massdrop is actually starting an EU warehouse but the selection is limited right now.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones

https://www.massdrop.com/talk/22344/massdrop-testing-local-shipping-in-european-union

There's something like the DT 770s but many people ( myself included ) find the lower end Beyerdynamic headphones painfully bright.

The 598Cs as mentioned above. Haven't heard them but they're favorably compared to the open 598s which I've owned for years and still game with.

Then there's the active noise cancelling headphones. Bose QC35, Sony WH-1000XM3s or the Sennheiser PCX 550.

D

Deleted member 217926

That sounds more like an incorrectly grounded amp or DAC. Which is pretty common for Schiit. I've seen reports of people getting shocked touching the cases of their products. Head-Fi and Superbestaudiofriends are sponsored by Schiit and delete negative comments. You can do better for less money everywhere except a few of their lower end amps.

D

Deleted member 14196

No it’s not a problem with any of the other headphones I have and it’s not their unit and they offered to replace it even. If I could just get better ear cups for the MX 50s I would prefer them probably

I know it’s the headphones because on my Schiit Fulla it does the same thing and nobody else does that

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 14196

pullanisu, this is the type of feedback that helps you decide. Actually, have you thought of having a pair of In-Ear Monitors? You can allocate your budget towards a decent set of cans like the V-Modas and a pair of good IEMs too.

TBH Mandark, I never liked the ATH-Mxx models. It was really uncomfortable, the sound signature was not to my liking, and I found better solutions around or under that price - granted they were open-back and not closed. I'm all about open-back personally; if I need portability, I use my IEMs.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Beyer DTs, 250 Ohms. How's that Magni treating you? I was thinking about grabbing the B-stock Modi and Magni.
The Magni and Modi multibit are absolutely fantastic. On my open back AKG 702s they sound so Awesome.

D

Deleted member 217926

Probably the best active noise cancellation of the big 3. The Sennheiser PCX 550 probably has the best sound quality.