[SOLVED] Best Heat Sink for Samsung 980 PRO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Mind sharing the make and model of your motherboard? The motherboard should come with a heatsink of it's own. If you're working with a laptop, I don't think you're going to have room in the chassis to have a heatsink. As for suggestions, you might want to see the EKWB heatsink for M.2 SSD's.

GoboII

Prominent
Jun 5, 2021
Can anyone suggest to me a good Heat Sink for Samsung 980 PRO?
Worth noting that a heatsink for an SSD is purely decorative in most scenarios; SSDs just don't really produce enough heat to need one.
Also, I should point out that the 980 PRO, while by no means a bad drive, is extremely expensive. Its high sequential performance won't help a vast majority of consumers; advertised speeds are sequential and not random, with random performance being what has more of an effect on boot/load times. So nothing wrong with the 980 pro, but you should consider whether it would be perceivably better than a drive that costs a third of what the 980 does.
Either way, I wish you luck with your build.

george198011

Prominent
Jun 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Mind sharing the make and model of your motherboard? The motherboard should come with a heatsink of it's own. If you're working with a laptop, I don't think you're going to have room in the chassis to have a heatsink. As for suggestions, you might want to see the EKWB heatsink for M.2 SSD's.
My motherboard is Asus ZI70-P, it do not have any heatsink :(

george198011

Prominent
Jun 5, 2021
Worth noting that a heatsink for an SSD is purely decorative in most scenarios; SSDs just don't really produce enough heat to need one.
Also, I should point out that the 980 PRO, while by no means a bad drive, is extremely expensive. Its high sequential performance won't help a vast majority of consumers; advertised speeds are sequential and not random, with random performance being what has more of an effect on boot/load times. So nothing wrong with the 980 pro, but you should consider whether it would be perceivably better than a drive that costs a third of what the 980 does.
Either way, I wish you luck with your build.
actually my work is related to rendering and my ssd temp is around 40-50 degree Celsius. I heard heatsink cools down the temp thats why I am looking for it.

Reactions: george198011
Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Reactions: george198011

george198011

Prominent
Jun 5, 2021
thankyou :), I want to know one more thing tomsguide and tomshardware is one? I mean you just replied me the same lines there also. So, using both for same queries will take me to the ban of my ID?

Please guide.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
thankyou :), I want to know one more thing tomsguide and tomshardware is one? I mean you just replied me the same lines there also. So, using both for same queries will take me to the ban of my ID?

Please guide.
Different sites with different topics. TH is really more PC oriented. TG more "gadget" oriented.

For your question, TH is the better site.

Just didn't want you/others to get conflicting recommendations.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. That only applies to Sata SSD, or Gen3 NVMe which come with heat-tape in the form of the sticker on top. It most definitely does not apply to Gen4 NVMe. Gen4 (Samsung 980 Pro) requires a heatsink if used on pcie4.0 just for heat management and preventing the controller from burning up since it will run hotter when under heavy load than the Nand.

SSDs have a preferred range of operation, roughly around the 50-70° range, Data written at a higher temp, then allowed to cool off a little before power off has a much higher data retention period than data written cold. For instance data written at 40°C and the drive is allowed to cool to 30°C, the data can last upto 52weeks. Data written at 50° and immediately powered off can last as little as 9weeks. Data written at 30° and powered off at 50° can last as little as a week.

WD, Intel and Micron (that I know of) have longetivity tested drives vs temps, and the lowest MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) or highest, soonest failure rate is from drives in the 40°C range or lower. Longest MTBF, lowest failure rate is in drives in the 50-70°C range. (depending on hdd or ssd)

So NVMe temps of @ 50°C are about perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.