[SOLVED] Best High Quality PC Headphones ? Hyperx Cloud Orbit of Philips Fidelio X2HR

fcp4life

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2012
Looking for the best headphones to use on a PC. I mainly watch movies (4K) listen to music, and do some gaming. I do have a Sound Blaster Audigy FX (5.1) sound card. I tried the Sony WH-1000XM3 and they weren't what I needed.

The HyperX Cloud Orbit (non "S" version) has
  • Audeze™ 100mm planar magnetic drivers
  • Waves Nx® fully immersive 3D audio

In theory bigger planar drivers would produce better sound quality at wider ranges? If it matters, I do listen to mainly house, electronic dance music type. I'm not a DJ but would love something high quality like that.

Solution
Headphones, like mice, keyboards, food, favorite colors, are a personal preference to how you like them to sound. There is no "best" to pick from, if you ask 20 audio experts you will get 40 options to pick from depending on your budget. I can name at least 8 you would be OK with trying in the $100 range alone and probably there are more you can easily pick from.

A lot of people don't like how the Cloud Orbit sounds, planar drivers are kind of their own thing when it comes to sound if you are used to standard headphones.

Sad news for your wallet is you need to try them out yourself to know what you like better. I would recommend those two to try out yes, but there is no way to know which of those YOU will like better. Or if a...
Headphones, like mice, keyboards, food, favorite colors, are a personal preference to how you like them to sound. There is no "best" to pick from, if you ask 20 audio experts you will get 40 options to pick from depending on your budget. I can name at least 8 you would be OK with trying in the $100 range alone and probably there are more you can easily pick from.

A lot of people don't like how the Cloud Orbit sounds, planar drivers are kind of their own thing when it comes to sound if you are used to standard headphones.

Sad news for your wallet is you need to try them out yourself to know what you like better. I would recommend those two to try out yes, but there is no way to know which of those YOU will like better. Or if a totally other headset. A lot of people like the Sennheiser 58X Jubilee from Massdrop, also the HD6XX from them also, you won't be "wrong" for trying those out either. If you like dance music with lots of beats, Beyerdynamics may be good also, their models are good at getting down to the low end well.

Looking for the right audio setup is a bottomless hole, there is a reason many people that consider them to be audiophiles own multiple headphones, amps, speakers, etc.. I'm all for best cost stuff that is good enough, and even I own 4 headsets and two IEMs, along with a few speakers, and enjoy them all even though they have different sounds.

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

If you have a decent amp the AKG K712 Pro is the best gaming headphone I've ever heard. It's harder to drive than the HD600/650 though despite 'only' being 64 ohm. So you need an amp. It also has very solid low end for an open back dynamic. Works just fine for EDM and isn't overly bright in the treble like a DT990. Also ties with the Sennheiser HD598/599 for comfort.

If I played competitive games I 'might' use the DT1990 Pro just because it has the most precise imaging under $1000. But the K712 has a larger soundstage and is really really close with imaging.