[SOLVED] Best home security network configuration & router or access point?

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Background: I am looking to install a security camera PoE system in the summer but for that I'll have to get another router or access point since my NVR will be located in the basement. (I want to conceal all the wires, more below).

I'm using my ISPs router which isn't that bad but I could use better coverage. My home is about 2400 sq ft (2 story above ground). The router is on the main floor, and it's Zyxel EMG2926.

My modem is in the basement. And it's easy for me to wire and conceal all the ethernet cat5 wires from the cameras to the garage and to the basement which is why the NVR will be located in the basement.

Question(s) :

1. What is the best configuration to get best connectivity? I am thinking of taking my existing router, putting it in the basement. Connect is directly to the NVR box . And then connect (hardwire) the zyxel router to a new router or access point in the main floor, essentially replacing the zyxel with something else.

2. For the configuration above, what would be the difference between using a good router or using an access point device?

3. Which product would you recommend for the router or access point? I'm thinking between Tp-link AC2600 to TP-Link Wi-Fi 6 AX3000. I know the configuration above is turning the router into an access point. Which it'll still act as a wifi router right? So I'm not really sure what's the difference between an access point and a router at this point.

Any other set ups or recommendations are welcome.

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Background: I am looking to install a security camera PoE system in the summer but for that I'll have to get another router or access point since my NVR will be located in the basement. (I want to conceal all the wires, more below).

I'm using my ISPs router which isn't that bad but I could use better coverage. My home is about 2400 sq ft (2 story above ground). The router is on the main floor, and it's Zyxel EMG2926.

My modem is in the basement. And it's easy for me to wire and conceal all the ethernet cat5 wires from the cameras to the garage and to the basement which is why the NVR will be located in the basement.

Question(s) :

1. What is the best configuration to get best connectivity? I am thinking of taking my existing...

kanewolf

Titan

Question(s) :

1. What is the best configuration to get best connectivity? I am thinking of taking my existing router, putting it in the basement. Connect is directly to the NVR. And then connect (hardwire) the zyxel router to a new router or access point in the main floor, essentially replacing the zyxel with something else.

2. For the configuration above, what would be the difference between using a good router or using an access point device?

3. Which product would you recommend for the router or access point? I'm thinking between Tp-link AC2600 to TP-Link Wi-Fi 6 AX3000.

Any other set ups or recommendations are welcome.

Thank you
The best configuration is to get all your ethernet cables to a common point. Put a POE switch there. Your NVR is just one port on that switch. So is your router.
If you need more WIFI, then add access point(s) which are also POE compatible around the house to improve your WIFI.

Solution

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
The best configuration is to get all your ethernet cables to a common point. Put a POE switch there. Your NVR is just one port on that switch. So is your router.
If you need more WIFI, then add access point(s) which are also POE compatible around the house to improve your WIFI.

The NVR box will have imbedded PoE switch. All 4 channels will connect to the NVR box. So they will go to a common point.

This is pretty much the set up.

View: http://imgur.com/gallery/fauQHpa

kanewolf

Titan

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I don't recommend that type of setup. Why, because it is proprietary. If you get cameras that work with a standard POE switch you will be much happier in the long run.

Ok, so router to PoE switch to all 4 cameras. How do I get recordings on a hard drive this way? Unless I get cameras recording to the cloud? Sorry I'm not too network/security saavy. I thought that nvr box was the only way.

kanewolf

Titan
Ok, so router to PoE switch to all 4 cameras. How do I get recordings on a hard drive this way? Unless I get cameras recording to the cloud? Sorry I'm not too network/security saavy. I thought that nvr box was the only way.
You can get a standalone NVR, or a NAS. The key is to get a standards based setup. Have you searched for a video security store website. You can see there are many other options.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
You can get a standalone NVR, or a NAS. The key is to get a standards based setup. Have you searched for a video security store website. You can see there are many other options.

Oh I see. Alright that makes sense. So basically similiar setup to that of the reolink picture I posted, but it's just not proprietary. Thanks I'll definitely look into it.

Regarding my access point vs router question. All that set up standalone NVR or NAS and PoE switch will be in the basement, directly connected to my ISP's router. I already have an ethernet cable running to my main floor which is how my router is currently connected. Once I move it down, my wifi coverage will be shot which is why I'll need a router or an access point device upstairs. Does it really matter whether it is a good router or a device advertised as 'access point'? I know my router will become an access point at that stage since it'll be directly connected to the router in the basement. Just don't know if it matters.

kanewolf

Titan
Oh I see. Alright that makes sense. So basically similiar setup to that of the reolink picture I posted, but it's just not proprietary. Thanks I'll definitely look into it.

Regarding my access point vs router question. All that set up standalone NVR or NAS and PoE switch will be in the basement, directly connected to my ISP's router. I already have an ethernet cable running to my main floor which is how my router is currently connected. Once I move it down, my wifi coverage will be shot which is why I'll need a router or an access point device upstairs. Does it really matter whether it is a good router or a device advertised as 'access point'? I know my router will become an access point at that stage since it'll be directly connected to the router in the basement. Just don't know if it matters.
I would recommend turning OFF the WIFI on the ISP router and getting multiple APs from the same manufacturer. That will provide you the best coverage and the fewest troubles.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I would recommend turning OFF the WIFI on the ISP router and getting multiple APs from the same manufacturer. That will provide you the best coverage and the fewest troubles.

When you say turn off current ISP router. Do you mean replacing it with an access point? Or just using it as a wired LAN connection with the NVR, wifi off, connected to access point(s) of same manufacturer?

So it will look this :

Main floor (Router/access AP, Manufacturer A)
Basement (ISP Router, wifi off)

Or

Main floor (Router/AP, manufacturer A)
Basement (Router/AP, Manufacturer A)

(My current router's placement is centrally located so I get pretty good wifi coverage. I won't really need to install another AP past my main floor. So one wifi capable device is enough.)

Thank you for your help and prompt replies by the way!

Last edited:

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I think you will find you can still add cameras by IP even if you dont use the inbuilt PoE switch on the NVR, You will still be limited by the number channels the NVR supports though.

If I end up using an NVR with an inbuilt poe switch, wouldn't be just redundant to use an external one? I'll still have to connect it to the NVR.

I think I'm overall good with the security system set up. I'm still unsure about the whole wireless network connectivity.

Kanewolf mentioned to turn off the WiFi from the router and use same manufacturer for APs. The issue is I really just need 'one' wireless emitting device. But I need a router in the basement so I can hardwire it to the Poe switch or the NVR box. So would getting one AP cover my whole house, in place of my current wifi router?

And would it matter whether I use a designated AP (unifi ac lite?) or just use a fancy router with wifi 6 capability and use it as AP?

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
https://www.ui.com/products/#default if your setup is big anough, this might be an idea. they have a little of everything and if you get the whole package, it all can be controlled from 1 pc.

i have just a lite wifi router and its a beast

Sorry for not responding. I did have a look at it. If I move my router down, I'll probably just need one access point. Did you say you are using the unify ap ac lite and it covers your whole house? Again my current router gives me all the connectivity I need throughout the house.

kanewolf

Titan
Sorry for not responding. I did have a look at it. If I move my router down, I'll probably just need one access point. Did you say you are using the unify ap ac lite and it covers your whole house? Again my current router gives me all the connectivity I need throughout the house.
I am using Ubiquiti. I would NEVER recommend a single AP. I have a 1900sqft house and three APs. When doing firmware upgrades, my devices just roam to a different AP. No significant loss of internet until I have to ugrade the core switch or router. You want to put APs where your devices are. Why? because the devices have much lower transmit power than the APs. Get them closer to the APs and they will stay on 5Ghz.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I am using Ubiquiti. I would NEVER recommend a single AP. I have a 1900sqft house and three APs. When doing firmware upgrades, my devices just roam to a different AP. No significant loss of internet until I have to ugrade the core switch or router. You want to put APs where your devices are. Why? because the devices have much lower transmit power than the APs. Get them closer to the APs and they will stay on 5Ghz.

That makes sense. Which uniquiti unifi aps do you have(Lite?)? Can you daisy chain them or do they have to come directly from the PoE switch? Do I also need the cloud key, I kept trying to understand what it actually does but I don't. I figured since it's an AP I can just connect it to my router directly and set it up using the gateway like a router.

The only issue I got is the ethernet wiring. I'll have a whole bunch of exposed wires if I do more than 1 AP, since I don't have any ethernet wires anywhere other than where my router is. That's my problem though.

kanewolf

Titan
That makes sense. Which uniquiti unifi aps do you have(Lite?)? Can you daisy chain them or do they have to come directly from the PoE switch? Do I also need the cloud key, I kept trying to understand what it actually does but I don't. I figured since it's an AP I can just connect it to my router directly and set it up using the gateway like a router.

The only issue I got is the ethernet wiring. I'll have a whole bunch of exposed wires if I do more than 1 AP, since I don't have any ethernet wires anywhere other than where my router is. That's my problem though.
I have a nanoHD in the living room. I have an AC-PRO in a bedroom that handles most of the 2.4Ghz traffic. I have a outdoor rated MESH-PRO in the garage.
The nanoHD handles the laptops and is set to 80Mhz bandwidth. The other two are set to 40Mhz bandwidth on 5Ghz. There are three SSIDs defined: personal, guest, IOT devices. The UniFI gateway and switches made it very easy to setup the guest and IOT services. The IOT is on a completely isolated VLAN.

The cloud key is just a 24x7 device that provides insight for the network. It is not required. You can run the same software on a laptop to do configurations and the network will function just fine without a cloud key. I run mine on a PI 4B and have PiHole configured for DNS on the same unit. I purchased the POE hat and power the PI via a POE ethernet port.

To avoid exposed wires, you hire a professional installer. It is their job to get the wires where you want and make sure it looks undisturbed when they are done.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I have a nanoHD in the living room. I have an AC-PRO in a bedroom that handles most of the 2.4Ghz traffic. I have a outdoor rated MESH-PRO in the garage.
The nanoHD handles the laptops and is set to 80Mhz bandwidth. The other two are set to 40Mhz bandwidth on 5Ghz. There are three SSIDs defined: personal, guest, IOT devices. The UniFI gateway and switches made it very easy to setup the guest and IOT services. The IOT is on a completely isolated VLAN.

The cloud key is just a 24x7 device that provides insight for the network. It is not required. You can run the same software on a laptop to do configurations and the network will function just fine without a cloud key. I run mine on a PI 4B and have PiHole configured for DNS on the same unit. I purchased the POE hat and power the PI via a POE ethernet port.

To avoid exposed wires, you hire a professional installer. It is their job to get the wires where you want and make sure it looks undisturbed when they are done.

Wow seems like you got it all covered. I wonder how much different would I feel with your set up compared to my single wifi router lol.

Thank you very much. Will definitely look into it now!