Question Best Home Server Storage Solution ( with redundancy )

Cyress

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
Hi guys,

I often receive error message from my raid controller ( IRST ) that say "Non-Member Disk" Error. Major issue are : third time receiving this error , running in raid 10 so i have to delete the entire raid and then recreate it , and finally as the amount of data increase it begin to be hard to backup those somewhere else ( was 4x4tb at first but now now its 6x8tb )

So the question here is : Is it the integrated Raid Controller fault , will a dedicated raid card work better ( less bug ) or do Software Raid are better ???

PS. brief server spec :

Asus maximus 8 extreme
i7-6700k
64gb ram ddr4 3000mhz
6x WD 8TB ( 4 blue and 2 black ) in raid 10
240gb ssd as boot
dvd drive

thank you

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
I use Intel chipset raid in my workstation without an issue.
Have you checked for a Bios update for your motherboard?
Updated iRST?

Windows software raid sucks, it's the only one I have issue with. It goes into resyncing mode about once every 6 weeks whereas the iRST ones, which is still software btw, keeps right on working.

My server has a raid card but in IDE mode so there are no raids in it.
You would need to build, format, & reload the array again if you switched to a dedicated raid card.

Cyress

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
Everything is up to date ( bios / windows / irst software / chipset

well at this point i dont really care about rebiulding the array as i already lost over 12TB data ( video file ) which i will have to encode again ( still have a bit of a backup 8tb out of 20tb ) and im planning to changing the motherboard and CPU for something with more Core. So im mostly looking for the most reliable solution , i dont care about buying a Raid Controller , going to SAS interface instead of sata , anything . I just want not to loose data again cuz of Non member disk anymore

Ty kane im aware that raid arent a backup but did u ever try to backup 24TB data which keep expanding , just those 8TB blue cost almost 400$ each so i dont even think about 14TB disk, so as im not millionaire yet best way for me are Raid with Redundancy

Last edited: