Best HSF that will fit a COSMOS-S 1100? (i.e. under 145mm)

makenshi

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Hello,
Long time reader, first time poster. I'm building a new machine and I just got my Coolermaster Cosmos-S 1100. I noticed the size of the CPU HSF in order to keep the side panel fan could not exceed 145mm (5.7inches). At first I was aiming for a TRUE or maybe a Vendetta 2 to keep it cheaper, but they're both way too big.

I'm now looking at the Thermalright SI128 SE, but i really don't know if that's the best choice as I do intend to do some overclocking later on (nothing extreme, I'll be running a Q9450 on a X48 (Rampage Formula) and 3.2Ghz should keep me happy)

Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
TRUE!!!you cant exclude that in the best performance cooler.i would say lap it until it gets down to the heatpipe so you will have your own hime made TRUE with HDT technology.

deviant1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
you can get the clear side panel that attaches in the current panels place. i left my fan on on the side and have no heat problems. got the three exhaust top fans, one exhaust on back, one intake in front of hd's, one intake from the floor side and large side intake. idling right now at 28*C w/ 72*F room temp. went with the scythe s-flex 120mm fans throughout, on at max right now and can barely hear them. you might need something more aggressive, depending on your personal needs.

makenshi

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008

You mean I can switch between the left and right default panels? Or I have to get another panel to replace the one with the fan? (I'd check it myself but I don't have physical access to the case at the moment)
Those temps sound good, as long as it stays cool enough and not too noisy it's fine with me.
If I need the extra performance I was looking at the "Silenx IXTREMA PRO 120mm", 72CFM at only 14dB (never tried these before, they sound almost too good to be true, but then again they are a bit expensive), might get me some of those to replace the other ones.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Apparently in real world testing the Silenx fans do not perform according to their advertising, neither in noise levels or airflow. The Scythe Slipstream fans, 1200rpm model, I have found to be very quiet and efficient in cooling my P182. The OCZ V2 works very nicely, performance equal to the TRUE at a significantly lower price.

makenshi

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008

Oh, thanks for the warning. Guess I should look into it a bit further