G

What is a good type of HSF that is quiet and effective on a xp1700 CPU?

Cost is not an issue.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

G

Yep I know that thanks anyway, I wanted too know what HSF was the quietest and most effective or a blend of the two.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i got an xp1700, the swiftech hsf is very effective and not too loud. its the alluminum one, no copper, not the 462.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

jjondle

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
What's your guys normal CPU temp?? I have an XP 1700+ and the damn thing runs about 155 degrees F all the time. Let me know what your systems are and what temps they run.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
soyo dragon+ mobo. xp 1700. Swiftech MCXC370, not the copper base.
my temps are 32 idle (with the case off 36 case on) and load goes up to about 38 (with case off) that board measures with the internal diode, the external ones are not always accurate.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
I'm using the Swiftech MCX462. My average case temps are 30 C(86 F), CPU 40 C (104 F). It's a Abit KR7A with an Athlon XP OC'd to 1.606 Mhz(146x11). One IBM 75GXP 30 GB, Geforce 3 Ti200(not overclocked), Sound Blaster Live 5.1, Linksys NIC card and six case fans with a 500 Watt Comp-Usa power supply and an all aluminum case. My ambient average room temp is 20 C(68 F) and I keep it under my desk. The stock Delta fan is loud, but otherwise it's relatively quiet. I never really idle since I run Seti@home full time, but last time I did idle my temps dropped around 4 degrees respectively. My recommendation is the Swiftech, but opt out of the Delta, and get a quieter slower turning fan for it.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

G

Thankyou to all that replied, overwhelmingly swiftech I take it! The MCX462 looks the goods with a quieter fan..

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
The thing is, it's the fan that determines how loud it is, since heatsinks make no noise. I have a Thermalright AX-7, which is one of the best heatsinks you can get. It doesn't come with a fan, so you can either buy a loud, high-performance fan for maximum cooling performance, or a quieter one that will still give you good cooling performance.

The Swiftech has excellent performance, but is harder to mount because it uses the four mounting holes on the motherboard rather than the usual clip system. In other words, you'll have to remove your motherboard in order to install it. That's one reason I chose the AX-7, because it has clip that attaches to the six prongs on the ZIF socket, so I was able to attach it without removing the mobo. It's up to you whether this is a concern or not. Both heatsinks will give you similar performance, depending on the fan you choose.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
only the 462 needs to be mounted to the mobo, the rest have the clips. very good design if you ask me, just put the thing in place and losen the screws.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Good point ... thanks for correcting me :smile:

The AX-7 is an excellent heatsink, though. Something to compare with the Swiftech.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Well I bought the 462 only because it got the higest rankings from Tom's Hardware. I've been pleased, but with a prebuilt system, it's almost easier to use a clip setup. Except for the noise from the Delta which can be easily changed, I'm very pleased. Pricey as well, but hey, don't we all deserve the best we can get??? I'm sure you'll be more than pleased with any of the Top 10 from Tom's cooler roundup.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

G

Actually thats a good point about pre-built systems, I have a few friends and family who want me to build them new standard systems and did not want to use a top- shelf HSF. For myself I would prefer the best available but thats just me. :smile:

weerez96

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
Hello, I was thinking of getting the Thermalright AX7 for my XP 1900, I was wondering if it will fit in my Soyo-K7V Dragon+ & if a 27 CFM fan would be enough to keep it nice & cool. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS