[SOLVED] Best HTPC?

WildCard999

Titan
I'm looking for a HTPC case for portable gaming. It doesn't need to be able to have a GPU as the system needs to be small enough to fit into a backpack and I plan on using the Ryzen 3300G or 3600G iGPU (Navi). The case I'm pretty set on is the InWin Chopin but I was wondering if there's anything better out there, thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: Inwin - Chopin (Black) HTPC Case w/150 W Power Supply ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $99.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-21 13:22 EDT-0400

Solution
For the size/volume, the Chopin is extremely tough to beat. Impossible at the pricepoint. I've seen a couple of custom, limited run offerings of similar volume.... but they were far from $100 ! They also require one of the PicoPSUs in order to run.

The Chopin, with it's proprietary PSU really saves on space.... From a portability standpoint, I don't think there's a "better" option for you, no.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For the size/volume, the Chopin is extremely tough to beat. Impossible at the pricepoint. I've seen a couple of custom, limited run offerings of similar volume.... but they were far from $100 ! They also require one of the PicoPSUs in order to run.

The Chopin, with it's proprietary PSU really saves on space.... From a portability standpoint, I don't think there's a "better" option for you, no.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If it's just to step down from an H500, maybe the Chopin is a bit extreme of a drop?

Something like a Node 202 would be a heck of a drop in size vs the H500, while not forgoing the ability to add a GPU, or use a (fairly) standard PSU that you would be trading off with the Chopin... I believe the 202 uses SFX units...

Similarly, cases like an ML07B, RVZ02B or RVZ01B-E would keep options open? They're not as small as you can physically go, but there probably a little more practical for long-term use?

Last edited:
Reactions: WildCard999

WildCard999

Titan
Initially I was looking at the 202 for the dedicated GPU however many of the monitors we use for our LAN parties are sub 1080P (900P/720P) and the games are older so we don't need much power to run our games (Diablo 3/WoW/WoWs/etc). It's really going to come down to how well those 3rd gen iGPU's perform. If it close or exceeds the GTX 1050 then I'll be sold. As far as longevity goes and when needed I'll dump the parts into a ITX case, grab a good quality PSU & probably just use my RX 580 when I upgrade the main system to Navi. TBH I've always wanted to build something as tiny as humanly possible while being gaming worthy so the Chopin grabbed my attention immediately but I will keep those other cases in mind. Another small case I really liked and built a system in (sold it) was the EVGA Hadron but unfortunately it's not really available for a reasonable price.

Reactions: Barty1884