RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
Hello.

First of all, i really have my doubts that i'm going to find an answer that's gonna fit my needs, but still would wanna give it a shot, who knows, maybe one knowledgeable dude finds my post and might be able to help haha.

As the title says, shortly put, i am looking for Wireless ROUTER, that supports at least ONE of these > Client Bridge/Wireless Repeater/Wisp Mode < out of the box or enabled by 3rd party software, like dd-wrt.

they should not be expensive tho, actually looking for OLD ones, before 2015-2012 , but with the condition that they have a Strong through output, TX/RX Power, capable to run HIGH GAIN Antennas, for Long Range distances, even if they don't have detachable antennas, i am sure i could mod them.

( The distance between AP's is going to be about "
250Meters" )

Does anyone know of such router with good TX power, that is able to handle long distances
??!!

I've heard of the legendary WRT45GL from linksys and Asus - WL-520GC.
But these routers don't support N just B-G technology, which isn't really a bad thing to be honest, since i only expect to achieve speeds like 20-30Mbs at peak, but it might have an impact on distance, i don't know.

also read on DD-WRT website, that the NetGear WNDR3700v4 can handle up to 26Dbm on 2.4 Ghz and 22 on 5ghz.

i considered buying this one, but i've found only Version 1 of of this router, which supports just 17Dbm.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

i am not sure if i could buff it up with linux software, it is possible, but some say that all routers have hardware limitations, so it doesn't matter if you raise TX Power, it still going to be at 17Dbm if that is the max it can do, besides that, this router has multiple antennas, which i don't like, since multiple antennas just means that the total power is going to be divided by # of antennas it has.

At this very moment i am running a really old Zyxel-NBG416 Router, cheap and not so complex thing, but really out performs all of my higher class routers, with 3-6 antennas, this one has the BEST Range/sensitivity, still, when weather conditions aren't good, it get's as low as 28-34% of signal strength and it needs about 40% to get me 2-6MBs of download speed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
That's a little over kill for my needs, not worth the money.

Actually i am trying to connect my friend to me, we built a little house for holiday purposes a little bit higher than mine on a hill.
Due to his position, he can't connect to our internet provider and they declined to help us out, not worth it to bother just for one family.
OK. In that case, a PAIR of Ubiquiti nanostation LOCO M2 would be the best answer. One on the outside of the little house and one on the outside of your house pointing at each other. If this is in an area with lots of competing WIFI then the LOCO M5 would be the option.

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
It sounds like you are trying to get WIFI from a public source. Have you tried directional WIFI hardware, like the Ubiquiti PowerBeam 2.4Ghz dish?
Maybe $100 doesn't meet your inexpensive criteria...

Actually i am trying to connect my friend to me, we built a little house for holiday purposes a little bit higher than mine on a hill.
Due to his position, he can't connect to our internet provider and they declined to help us out, not worth it for them to bother just for one family.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan

Due to his position, he can't connect to our internet provider and they declined to help us out, not worth it to bother just for one family.
OK. In that case, a PAIR of Ubiquiti nanostation LOCO M2 would be the best answer. One on the outside of the little house and one on the outside of your house pointing at each other. If this is in an area with lots of competing WIFI then the LOCO M5 would be the option.

Solution

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
In case anyone else is looking to something similar like i was:

Airlive - Ovislink N.Power = 23 -30 Dbm - RS -73 dBm
NetGear - WNDR3700v4
= 26 - Dbm - RS - ?
TP-Link TL- WA5110G = 26 - Dbm - RS -74Dbm
TP-LINK TL- WR841ND = 20 - ( 30 Dbm - Moded ) RS - ?

Also, if you care for better range/longer distances, make sure your router/modem's Reciever Sensitivity = RS is high, the greater the sensitivity the larger the area it should cover.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS