[SOLVED] Best Internet Options for Streaming/Gaming/Every Day Tasks

ShadowKhan

Reputable
Apr 17, 2020
As the title says, I live in a house with 9 people in it, who are constantly on the internet at one time. The internet is slow, and tends to disconnect quite a lot. My question is, what is some good internet at a worth-it price that has, good down/up speeds, can handle tasks like streaming, and can handle a ton of people on it at once?

Solution
You are going to be lucky if you have any choice at all. Most people are lucky to get 1 even halfway fast connection. I think the ISP sit in rooms and laugh when people call and complain. They go what you going to cancel and have no internet....hahaha.

You buy the fastest package that is available that you can afford is the answer. If you live in a big city you likely get ok service. If you live where I used to there was no internet that was delivered on any kind of wire. Not even DSL. Even paying huge money to a cell company you still get poor service.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
It's up to what your ISP offers. If you can get a 1Gbps/50Mbps for cheap -- why not right.

If you have coax port in your room = better. Get a plan within your needs, it will come with a modem, get a good compatible router, and don't let anyone use it. Just your girls or visitors.

I hated living with 5 other people spergs man. Glad I'm out of that life and trench.

You are going to be lucky if you have any choice at all. Most people are lucky to get 1 even halfway fast connection. I think the ISP sit in rooms and laugh when people call and complain. They go what you going to cancel and have no internet....hahaha.

You buy the fastest package that is available that you can afford is the answer. If you live in a big city you likely get ok service. If you live where I used to there was no internet that was delivered on any kind of wire. Not even DSL. Even paying huge money to a cell company you still get poor service.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
As the title says, I live in a house with 9 people in it, who are constantly on the internet at one time. The internet is slow, and tends to disconnect quite a lot. My question is, what is some good internet at a worth-it price that has, good down/up speeds, can handle tasks like streaming, and can handle a ton of people on it at once?
There are two problems. Total bandwidth required. Connectivity.
Total bandwidth is a function of what is available from ISPs in your area. You may be able to get multiple connections from an ISP. if YOUR access is most important, then you need to secure independent bandwidth. That may require a cellular hotspot for example.
Connectivity is a function of technology and geography. IF most of your streaming devices are connected to the primary router by a wired connection, then they won't interfere with each other. If they are on a single WIFI source, then they have to compete against each other.

Reactions: SamirD
It takes a lot to each up the whole bandwidth of a modern Internet plan (that's not the cheapest one). If the connection sucks, is the wired connection good? If so, then it's just wifi overload. If not, then you do need more bandwidth.

At one point I need more bandwidth than any single cable provider could provide. So I got 3 modems, and each had full bandwidth. I used a multi-wan router to combine them into one connection for my lan. Once they upgraded speeds over a decade, I no longer needed the other 2 modems and dropped them.

Since you have 9 individuals, just get your own connection and keep it wired shutting off the wifi completely. You will have zen speeds compared to the rest.