Question Best KVM/software solution to switch between PC and work laptop

MarvelK

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
I have a gaming PC with a dual monitor, wired keyboard, and mouse connected to the PC. I started working from home and wondering if there is an optimum setup I can do so I can switch between my PC and work laptop and utilize the same monitors and keyboard.

I tried looking into software like Synergy and it seems like it only shares keyboard/mouse. I tried looking into various KVM switches but non make sense to me or properly explain if it is the best fit for my setup.

Please suggest if you know or use any solution that works for my scenario.

My card has 2 HDMI and 2 DP and a DVI
My both monitors have 1 HDMI and 1 DP (1 also has a DVI)

Thanks!

MarvelK

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
I use a USB switch for my KB/mouse/printer, and I have each monitor connected to each computer. When i want to view/work on the other machine, I click the button on the USB switch, and change the input selection on my monitor(s).
https://www.amazon.com/Selector-ABLEWE-Switcher-Peripheral-One-Button/dp/B07TS5JNT3
Thanks .. the laptop only has 1 HDMI port. I was hoping not to get a docking station but it might be my only option.

I can use a docking station for dual display and run another set of cables to monitors. I am only concerned about the input lag. If I connect my mouse and keyboard to the usb switch or docking station, will it introduce input lag. Since I am using PC for gaming, this is a big issue for me.

Another option is to connect the keyboad and mouse to the monitor's USB ports. This way when I switch between sources, my keyboard and mouse will work. however, I am not sure about input lag connecting to monitor vs PC directly.

MarvelK

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Two-by-two KVM switches tend to be expensive, so I'd rather go with @tennis2 proposal. It does not matter how you'll get second video output from your laptop (USB-to-HDMI/DVI, or dockstation). Keeping KM separate from V will let you glance what happens on one PC without completely disconnecting the other (eg video on the laptop, boring Zoom on the desktop).

MarvelK

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Ok. My laptop is USB with Thunderbolt.

Any input on connecting the keyboad and mouse to the monitor USB port? It will eliminate the usb switch need and hopefully not introduct input lag.

Thanks .. the laptop only has 1 HDMI port. I was hoping not to get a docking station but it might be my only option.

I can use a docking station for dual display and run another set of cables to monitors. I am only concerned about the input lag. If I connect my mouse and keyboard to the usb switch or docking station, will it introduce input lag. Since I am using PC for gaming, this is a big issue for me.

Another option is to connect the keyboad and mouse to the monitor's USB ports. This way when I switch between sources, my keyboard and mouse will work. however, I am not sure about input lag connecting to monitor vs PC directly.
My monitor (PG279QM) has a latency monitor function and I can also use NVidia Reflex Analyzer. I also switch between laptop and desktop using a USB switch for k/m. There is as far as I can tell no difference in latency of the mouse when using the USB switch compared to directly connected to the desktop. Every result is slightly different but the average seems about the same.