Question Best Laptop for College Under $1000?

jb2349

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
Hello, I've been trying to find a laptop for college for quite a while. I based my search on the usual criterium; price, performance, durability, etc. I thought I had found the best laptop for the money, a Surface laptop 2 with an i5, 128Gb SSD, 8 Gb of ram, and a 1504p touchscreen display for $974 after a $100 student discount and $75 sales tax. However, now I'm not so sure. It only has one USB port and I'm not sure 128Gb is enough. Upgrading to 256 is another almost $200. I'm not so sure about what I'll need in a laptop that I'll be using for school work, movie/video watching, and other general purposes. Nothing intensive like video editing or gaming. The Pc's I've built have been for gaming so I'm not sure what hardware I'll need for what I described above. Of course the less money I have to spend the better, but the main things I want out of this laptop are for it to last through college and to be pleasant to use. Bells and whistles like a touchscreen, fingerprint scanner, etc. would be nice, but certainly not essential. From what I've heard the XPS 13 is the best all-around laptop, but the better ones are north of $1000. Meanwhile, the ones with prices more comparable to the Surface only have 1080p displays and are not touchscreen. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

jb2349

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
Thanks! I'll definitely look into that. I was hoping to splurge a bit. Since I intend to have this for at least four years, I figure I should get the best I can within $1000. More specifically, I was hoping for something with a great display, UHD if possible, but most over 1080p seemed to be out of my price range, also an ssd would be nice, as well as a touch screen. That’s why the Surface appealed to me at first. However, I wasn’t sure if the higher price was worth it for the 256 GB ssd. Similarly, with the XPS 13 9360, I wasn’t sure if a 1080p display was worth it.

Last edited:

jb2349

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
stick with 1 thread
Hello, I've been trying to find a laptop for college for quite a while. I based my search on the usual criterium; price, performance, durability, etc. I thought I had found the best laptop for the money, a Surface laptop 2 with an i5, 128Gb SSD, 8 Gb of ram, and a 1504p touchscreen display for $974 after a $100 student discount and $75 sales tax. However, now I'm not so sure. It only has one USB port and I'm not sure 128Gb is enough. Upgrading to 256 is another almost $200. I'm not so sure about what I'll need in a laptop that I'll be using for school work, movie/video watching, and other general purposes. Nothing intensive like video editing or gaming. The Pc's I've built have been for gaming so I'm not sure what hardware I'll need for what I described above. Of course the less money I have to spend the better, but the main things I want out of this laptop are for it to last through college and to be pleasant to use. Bells and whistles like a touchscreen, fingerprint scanner, etc. would be nice, but certainly not essential. From what I've heard the XPS 13 is the best all-around laptop, but the better ones are north of $1000. Meanwhile, the ones with prices more comparable to the Surface only have 1080p displays and are not touchscreen. I was looking to splurge a bit because I intend to have for at least 4 years. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.