Best laptop for under $600

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrewer193

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
My wife has recently started a consulting career. She is a stay at home mother and she can do this from the comfort of our home. She is currently using my desk/computer and with me being in school also needing my computer for my school work we decided we may get her a laptop. I am far from up to date with laptops and was looking for some help
Mainly what my wife does and needs from what I can see is:
-Lots of facebook chat (how she gets most customers)
-Lots of pictures
-Text documents
-Excel
-Large enough screen to see comfortably and to show potential customers as well.
-Strong enough to play a couple games in her free time as well

Thank you in advance for all who helps. :) Have a great day!.

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop for $499 and am very happy with it. It has a 15.6" screen, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, Intel I5-6200U processor, WiFi, Bluetooth, and Windows 10 Home.

Good luck.

Tell your wife to go to BestBuy to check out some laptops. So that she gets a feel for what is out there and to determine certain aspects that she likes and dislikes.

Some of the things I recommend she considers are as follows:

#1 - The size of the screen - Most laptops have 15.6", but there are also 14" and 17.3" models to consider.

#2 - The weight - If the laptop is going to just sit on a desk at home, then this does not really matter. But if she needs to show some presentations to clients from time to time then she may not want to consider at 17.3" which are quite heavy.

#3 - Screen resolution - The higher the resolution, the larger the desktop will be which means more text and pictures can be seen on the screen at once. But the higher the resolution, the smaller text and pictures will be. Low resolution screens can hinder writing a document or working with spreadsheets since it limits how much information will be displayed.

#4 - Glossy / Matte screens - Most laptops have glossy screens, in fact, all of the laptops I was briefly checking out at BestBuy yesterday had glossy screens. These type of screen makes colors "pop" because glossy screen makes them look vibrant. However, they reflect a lot of light due to the mirror like finish. This might be annoying to some people like myself. Matte finish screens diffuses light so it does not have a mirror like finish and allows people to use them outside on bright days, unless the screen is not very bright. Colors look flat compared to glossy screens, but colors are generally more realistic rather than over saturated.

#5 - Keyboard - Try out the keyboard on different brands because some can be great, others are bad while most should "feel" average.

Status
Not open for further replies.