Best laptop or tablet for an old person?

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
I'm looking for a suitable device for my grandad. He previously had a Compaq laptop running Win7, which he got on with really well. When that started to die, we bought him a Lenovo running Windows 10 but he's never got fully used to it and finds it really stressful to use. He generally uses it for word processing, email and browsing news.
Someone has suggested that a tablet with a keyboard may be easier for him, but I'm really not sure what to think. Any ideas, or anywhere that I could get any advice (UK)?

Thanks!

Why the issues with Win 10? All it does is start up, put the icons for programs he uses on the desktop to open. With everything on the desktop, there is not much difference between 7 and 10. Opening a program in 10 is same as in 7, double-click the icon.

Old folks, don't change (user interface) on them unless you absolutely have no choice.

As ^he says, why W10 so difficult? I thought one can configure W10 to boot up with a classic Windows desktop, no Metro.

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
lenovo are cheap apple is said to be the most user friendly , there exists asus too
I'm aware of different brands of laptop but not sure that you fully understand - giving him an Apple mac now would be more confusing than anything. iPad, possibly. FWIW I've always found Lenovo products to be much better quality than ASUS.

Why the issues with Win 10? All it does is start up, put the icons for programs he uses on the desktop to open. With everything on the desktop, there is not much difference between 7 and 10. Opening a program in 10 is same as in 7, double-click the icon.
since it already got a win 10 one with you dont put for him on the desktop the icon to direct acces to what he use and pins them to task bar .
Old folks, don't change (user interface) on them unless you absolutely have no choice.

As ^he says, why W10 so difficult? I thought one can configure W10 to boot up with a classic Windows desktop, no Metro.

I've put the Windows classic skin on there and created large, direct icons but he's still complaining. I think it's probably user issues rather than the machine but we'll see.