Question Best laptop ram and ssd

Jul 16, 2022
I have a HP Pavilion 15 cs model, and I'm planning to upgrade it's ram and storage. My current specs are:

CPU: i5 8250u
RAM: SK Hynix 8+4 gb 2400mhz
HDD: Toshiba 1tb

I'm thinking of 2 ways:
• Replace HDD with a 1tb Crucial SSD
https://amzn.eu/d/j1xeFnc
• Add 2 8gb Dolgix Ram 2400 mhz
https://amzn.eu/d/iKu1Jml

What other things should/can I do?

Im not too sure about the components I'm planning. Any suggestions?

Any SSD would be a significant improvement.

Moving from 12 GB RAM to 16 GB might not matter much at all.

How much RAM do you actually use when doing your normal tasks?

Before thinking about RAM changes, you need to confirm exactly what is now in the machine.

Two separate RAM sticks? Are they both removable or is one soldered and not removable.

I think there are several variations of the Pavilion 15 CS. Do you have a more complete model number?

Jul 16, 2022
Any SSD would be a significant improvement.

Moving from 12 GB RAM to 16 GB might not matter much at all.

Before thinking about RAM changes, you need to confirm exactly what is now in the machine.

Two separate RAM sticks? Are they both removable or is one soldered and not removable.

I think there are several variations of the Pavilion 15 CS. Do you have a more complete model number?
Mine is the cs000x

Two seperate ram sticks
1*4 gb sk Hynix china
1*8gb sk Hynix korea

I have a HP Pavilion 15 cs model, and I'm planning to upgrade it's ram and storage. My current specs are:

CPU: i5 8250u
RAM: SK Hynix 8+4 gb 2400mhz
HDD: Toshiba 1tb

I'm thinking of 2 ways:
• Replace HDD with a 1tb Crucial SSD
https://amzn.eu/d/j1xeFnc
• Add 2 8gb Dolgix Ram 2400 mhz
https://amzn.eu/d/iKu1Jml

What other things should/can I do?

Im not too sure about the components I'm planning. Any suggestions?
The Crucial MX500 is a better drive, but in this context it probably doesn't matter which SSD you buy. Not familiar with the RAM but I'm sure it would be fine.

Jul 16, 2022
The Crucial MX500 is a better drive, but in this context it probably doesn't matter which SSD you buy. Not familiar with the RAM but I'm sure it would be fine.

Are both of those sticks removable?

Do you have the manual for that laptop? I could not find one.

Do you intend to change the RAM yourself?

IDK
Yes
No
Probably

Go to the crucial web site and access their upgrade advisor app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of compatible upgrades.
I am guessing that 4gb of ram is soldered and a single 16gb stick is the max upgrade.
On the ssd, a upgrade will be magical.
If crucial ssd upgrade is a 2.5" device(not a m.2) I use a usb to sata adapter cable and use the samsung ssd migration aid to move the C drive to the new ssd.
A youtube search for "your laptop" and ssd will give you the mechanics of doing the ram and ssd swap.

Thanks.. what would be your choice of RAM?
I've always used Crucial for laptops. My concern when I've never heard of a particular brand is are they legitimate, particularly when they are cheaper. I checked and Dolgix is just a brand name for Om Nanotech, a legitimate company that manufacturer's memory modules in India. So on that basis I'm sure you would be fine with the original ones you were looking at.

My mistake Crucial is actually the same price. I've noticed that the Dolgix 2666Mhz is actually cheaper than the 2400Mhz. I have the same CPU as you in my laptop, it's official support is for 2400Mhz RAM. However if you put faster memory in it will just run at 2400Mhz. I have 2666Mhz Crucial memory in my laptop but it just runs at the supported speed. There's no reason to pay more for a slower module.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B083V38WJ1/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_JERRA1FGEMR7HR7DNP0K_0?th=1

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022
Go to the crucial web site and access their upgrade advisor app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of compatible upgrades.
I am guessing that 4gb of ram is soldered and a single 16gb stick is the max upgrade.
On the ssd, a upgrade will be magical.
If crucial ssd upgrade is a 2.5" device(not a m.2) I use a usb to sata adapter cable and use the samsung ssd migration aid to move the C drive to the new ssd.
A youtube search for "your laptop" and ssd will give you the mechanics of doing the ram and ssd swap.
Thanks a lot man

Jul 16, 2022
I've always used Crucial for laptops. My concern when I've never heard of a particular brand is are they legitimate, particularly when they are cheaper. I checked and Dolgix is just a brand name for Om Nanotech, a legitimate company that manufacturer's memory modules in India. So on that basis I'm sure you would be fine with the original ones you were looking at.

My mistake Crucial is actually the same price. I've noticed that the Dolgix 2666Mhz is actually cheaper than the 2400Mhz. I have the same CPU as you in my laptop, it's official support is for 2400Mhz RAM. However if you put faster memory in it will just run at 2400Mhz. I have 2666Mhz Crucial memory in my laptop but it just runs at the supported speed. There's no reason to pay more for a slower module.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B083V38WJ1/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_JERRA1FGEMR7HR7DNP0K_0?th=1
Oh ok appreciate it

Jul 16, 2022

What if I buy:
• 1 crucial 8gb 2666 mhz and
• Crucial p2 500gb nvme + crucial 8gb 2666 mhz combo
?

What if I buy:
• 1 crucial 8gb 2666 mhz and
• Crucial p2 500gb nvme + crucial 8gb 2666 mhz combo
?
It's not the quickest SSD but any SSD will be a vast improvement over using a hard drive. Are you saying you have the option to buy a Crucial P2 and 8GB 2666Mhz stick together at a discount, and then buy 1 additional 8GB 2666Mhz stick to go with it? So 2 x Crucial 8GB sticks for a total of 16GB's?

Jul 16, 2022
It's not the quickest SSD but any SSD will be a vast improvement over using a hard drive. Are you saying you have the option to buy a Crucial P2 and 8GB 2666Mhz stick together at a discount, and then buy 1 additional 8GB 2666Mhz stick to go with it? So 2 x Crucial 8GB sticks for a total of 16GB's?
Yeah and with the 500gb SSD as main drive i think I could use my built in hdd as secondary storage? What do you guys think...

Yeah and with the 500gb SSD as main drive i think I could use my built in hdd as secondary storage? What do you guys think...
You shouldn't have issues buying the sticks separately like that. Yes you could do that, I've done that before with the hard drive. Or you could turn it into an external drive. You most likely do, but I would just double check you have a free M.2 slot before you buy the NVME drive.