[SOLVED] best lga 2011 cpu for gaming

Nov 6, 2020
ive seen a i7 6800k but ive been told that its ok for gaming but its not for it. i wanna be able to use a rtx 2070 and i was wondering if anybody knows a better cpu for gaming.

Solution
ive seen a i7 6800k but ive been told that its ok for gaming but its not for it. i wanna be able to use a rtx 2070 and i was wondering if anybody knows a better cpu for gaming.
The reason the 6800k isn't amazing for gaming is that it has lower clock speeds than newer/consumer processors. It's not bad or anything, just not as good.

It has 6 cores which is pretty good, but unlike say, an i7 8700k (which is consumer, and also 6 cores that have the same IPC) which has faster cores.
the 6850k also has 6, but faster cores, and would be better for gaming.
The reason the 6800k isn't amazing for gaming is that it has lower clock speeds than newer/consumer processors. It's not bad or anything, just not as good.

It has 6 cores which is pretty good, but unlike say, an i7 8700k (which is consumer, and also 6 cores that have the same IPC) which has faster cores.

Solution
Nov 6, 2020

where would i get a i7 6850k for a good price and should i buy a used one? and will it fit a aurora r4 motherboard?

Last edited:
where would i get a i7 6850k for a good price and should i buy a used one? and will it fit a aurora r4 motherboard?
I can't really find what processors fit in that motherboard, but from what I can see, it's an X79 chipset? If so, the best cpu that goes in there is a 4960X.
Can you tell me what cpu you have in it right now?

Also, if it can house the 6850k (which as i've said, I think it won't since it's the same socket, but the wrong chipset.), that's an old cpu nowadays, and you'll have to buy it used, refurbished or similar.
Ebay is probably your best bet, but before you go out and buy that please tell me what cpu you have right now, or what chipset your motherboard is.

Nov 6, 2020
I can't really find what processors fit in that motherboard, but from what I can see, it's an X79 chipset? If so, the best cpu that goes in there is a 4960X.
Can you tell me what cpu you have in it right now?

Also, if it can house the 6850k (which as i've said, I think it won't since it's the same socket, but the wrong chipset.), that's an old cpu nowadays, and you'll have to buy it used, refurbished or similar.
Ebay is probably your best bet, but before you go out and buy that please tell me what cpu you have right now, or what chipset your motherboard is.
The chip i have right now is a i7 3820 here is the link to the pc https://www.cnet.com/products/alienware-aurora-r4-mdt-core-i7-3820-3-6-ghz-16-gb-2-tb/

The X99 and 6800/6850 at sub-4 GHz are both quite a bit behind an 8700K/R5-3600 in gaming, and, barring a miracle bundle deal for $200...I'd pass.

(you are not putting a 6800 or 6850 in your existing board anyway; best to jump on the R5-5600X bandwagon like half the country will likely soon be doing)

Nov 6, 2020
The X99 and 6800/6850 at sub-4 GHz are both quite a bit behind an 8700K/R5-3600 in gaming, and, barring a miracle bundle deal for $200...I'd pass.

(you are not putting a 6800 or 6850 in your existing board anyway; best to jump on the R5-5600X bandwagon like half the country will likely soon be doing)
if i did that then id probably have to get a new heat sinc new ram new case new everything unless the new motherboard and cpu is compatible with the stuff i have id need to build a hole new pc and im trying to avoid that.

Nov 6, 2020
Like is suspected, It's an X79 chipset, not X99, meaning it's socket 2011, not 2011v3.

The best cpu to go in there is the i7 4960X.

Not worth your time.

Probably should do as @mdd1963 said.
how much would i have to spend on the stuff and am i able to use some parts from this pc like psu case and other stuff? i am on a tight budget for parts i was hoping that all i needed was a better cpu

Last edited:
how much would i have to spend on the stuff
You can spend as much or as little as you want.

6 cores is the sweet spot, so either go intel with the i5 (I'd go with the 10400F, since it's the best bang for the buck, but you can have the 10600k or 10600kf.)
or go amd and either save a buck with last gen's 3600 (non X) that goes for less than 200$ nowadays, or get the just released today 5600X, which costs 300$, but is the fasted gaming cpu on the market, beating intel by up to 20%.

Nov 6, 2020
You can spend as much or as little as you want.

6 cores is the sweet spot, so either go intel with the i5 (I'd go with the 10400F, since it's the best bang for the buck, but you can have the 10600k or 10600kf.)
or go amd and either save a buck with last gen's 3600 (non X) that goes for less than 200$ nowadays, or get the just released today 5600X, which costs 300$, but is the fasted gaming cpu on the market, beating intel by up to 20%.
what would be the best 3600 motherboard for my buck and do you think i could use some stuff from the pc i have to cut the costs for the cpu motherboard and ram?

what would be the best 3600 motherboard for my buck and do you think i could use some stuff from the pc i have to cut the costs for the cpu motherboard and ram?
your drives, maybe powersupply, gpu and case can be transfered.
If you have you original mounting hardware for your cooler, it should fit on a new motherboard, but only if you have it.

you will have to change motherboard, ram and cpu.
best bang for the buck mobo? that's a very hard question to answer.

Get a motherboard with all the features you need (enough usb, sata, pci-e, sound, size and such) then check either on a mobo vrm tier list that it's decent, or ask on this forum.

Nov 6, 2020
your drives, maybe powersupply, gpu and case can be transfered.
If you have you original mounting hardware for your cooler, it should fit on a new motherboard, but only if you have it.

you will have to change motherboard, ram and cpu.
best bang for the buck mobo? that's a very hard question to answer.

Get a motherboard with all the features you need (enough usb, sata, pci-e, sound, size and such) then check either on a mobo vrm tier list that it's decent, or ask on this forum
thanks for telling me im gonna half to save some more money thanks for the information i really appreciated it

TRENDING THREADS