[SOLVED] Best lightweight, fast booting, stable, installable linux distro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexsvonMüller

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Long story short, I found unused SATA 1 hard drive last week and finished installing Linux Mint Cinnamon on it but I'm not happy with the booting speed. Should I get used to it or switch to another distro?

AlexsvonMüller

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
How long of boot time are we talking here?

If there is some process that is causing an abnormally long boot (no network connection can do this), you can enable the kernel boot messages to print on screen while it is booting to help understand what is taking so long:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/250...ssages-to-be-printed-on-screen-during-boot-up
The boot time took me around 1m 43s and about the boot message yes i can see it now but i think everything is in order, should i copy them and paste it here? If yes how to do that? Thanks for replying

I'm new to this stuff and it's really interesting to me.

Last edited:

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
The boot time took me around 1m 43s and about the boot message yes i can see it now but i think everything is in order, should i copy them and paste it here? If yes how to do that? Thanks for replying

I'm new to this stuff and it's really interesting to me.

Hmm, that is pretty long. Is there any point in the boot where it seems to hang for a long period of time? The few distros I've used tend to hang when there is no network connection. You'd see a message printed out "waiting for network configuration" or "waiting an additional 60 seconds for network configuration".

Anyway, I believe what you see during boot is saved in /var/log/boot.log

The problem with trying to provide that is there are not time stamps, so you'd also have to provide some feedback which messages seem to be where the delay is happening.

Can you give your computer specs? I have a Kubuntu running in a virtual machine, it took about 40 seconds to boot. My machine at home is probably similar.

From the terminal, type: systemd-analyze
this will tell you a little info about whether kernel or userspace is taking the majority of the time.

AlexsvonMüller

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Hmm, that is pretty long. Is there any point in the boot where it seems to hang for a long period of time? The few distros I've used tend to hang when there is no network connection. You'd see a message printed out "waiting for network configuration" or "waiting an additional 60 seconds for network configuration".

Anyway, I believe what you see during boot is saved in /var/log/boot.log

The problem with trying to provide that is there are not time stamps, so you'd also have to provide some feedback which messages seem to be where the delay is happening.

Can you give your computer specs? I have a Kubuntu running in a virtual machine, it took about 40 seconds to boot. My machine at home is probably similar.

From the terminal, type: systemd-analyze
this will tell you a little info about whether kernel or userspace is taking the majority of the time.
Spec:
2370m
hd 3000
Seagate SATA1 HDD
Win 7 Pro 64 bit

The black screen give me the longest waiting time
Here's the proof: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1akuKh7t2-b7JLoE3ZC_El41TVzqzEIsx/view?usp=sharing

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
If you don't use Virtual Box, uninstalling it will speed things up considerably:

sudo apt purge virtualbox*
sudo systemctl stop vboxadd.service
sudo systemctl stop vboxadd-service.service
sudo systemctl disable vboxadd.service
sudo systemctl disable vboxadd-service.service

Run the commands one at a time.

Reactions: Grobe

AlexsvonMüller

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
I'm cringing at myself rn, looking back at the point where i just randomly ask everyone (yes, outside this forum too) about this stuff without any knowledge of GNU/Linux even the basic like running apt update and upgrade, i just ask, install it, and done then back using windows again ofc i make Whatsapp status like "Yo this linux os is so cool" to make myself looks cool, yep, you heard it LINUX OS.

Allright, enough with the story, im gonna answer it myself according to my experience so far as a linux noob, cinnamon AFAIK is the heaviest resource edition of linux mint, now what i'm using is a very old hdd (yeah we talk about 60-70 MB/s r/w speed right here). So everything is just make sense since it's the heaviest of the three the hdd would have to load so much things.

AlexsvonMüller

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.