Best lightweight version of linux

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
So I am thinking of updating my laptop, I currently run Backtrack, windows 7 and ubuntu off of it. I am planning to run a single distribution off of a significantly smaller SSD, and purchasing 4 Gbs of ram, considering I do 99% of computing on my desktop I am looking for the best performance possible. I would like to Run Dev c++ with wine, temporarily store torrents, and have a few tools like aircrack, and john the ripper, etc.. So basically I'm looking for something with small install size, quick boot time, and something that still fully functional.

Would you like a list of all 100+ distrobution's that fit that description? Really the first 5 hits on google would give you some options. Besides, there is no 'best', everything is subjective.

Anyway here is a list of some of the popular ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

I suggest you try to:
1) decide on a package manager that you like (dpkg, pacman, rpm,..)
2) decide on what features the distro comes with (kernel version(s), systemd, ..)
2) decide on a window manager/enviorment you like (openbox, xfce, lxde, awesome, compiz, fluxbox, icewm..)
3) then finally find a distrobution that rolls all the above