Best linux for Old computer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grr.. Edit not working.

Ignore my last post, I got confused with some other specs we have been talking recently. It would run, slowly. The bigger issue with going back to 7.10 is that you would be missing an awful lot of patches and security updates.

thecodergeek

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
If you want to go really old, you might be interested in reading this or skimming it over:
http://jponline.hubpages.com/hub/Best-Linux-For-Old-Computer

I tested out various different light weight linux distro's to see which one's would perform the best on computers that were old and had very low RAM and hardware. I tested them out on a few computers that were only running on 64mb of RAM, 128mb of RAM, and 256mb of RAM.

Even if I have a computer that has 1GB or more, I still prefer to run the lightest weight distro's. Obviously, if you run very light weight distro's that only require a small amount of RAM (and you got the bit extra to spare) then your computers going to perform pretty well and speedy. But that's just me.

I know a lot of people like Ubuntu, but to me it's a little too bloated when compared to some other linux distro's, and it's not a good choice at all for old computers running on very limited specs.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

I use Ubuntu with LXDE when working on a low RAM computer. I keep a remastersys copy on a flash for repairing windows and installing Ubuntu because here old is the norm. With my LXDE I can transfer Combo fix and the rest of my arsenal to an infected computer where viruses erase flashes and disable the safe mode. Not to mention erase lost passwords and a myriad of other problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.