Best Linux/Unix based OS for an old laptop

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I have an old IBM ThinkPad from about 2000 (Its hardware seems older, but all the manufacturing dates on it state 2000) with pretty weak hardware, even for its time.

I'm looking for a Linux or Unix based distro for this old laptop. It needs to be lightweight. I tried Puppy Linux, but odd things happen. It does run quite quickly, but there are lines all over the screen. I think it's a driver issue but I don't know how to solve it.

These are the specifications of the laptop:

500MHz Celeron
5.5GB hard drive
192MB RAM (It can't be expanded any further)
Either Trident CyberBlade or SMI Lynx graphics (I think it may be SMI, but I'm not 100% sure)

The specific model I find is: IBM ThinkPad i Series 1171. It is either a 1200 or a 1300 (I'm not sure what that means but it's mentioned on the Lenovo website)

What is the best Linux distribution for this laptop? It does have USB ports but I do not believe that it supports booting from USB.

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion.

Right now, I'm having issues trying to download the OpenBSD 5.4 software. I don't know where or how to download it. Right now, I have a torrent going, but I don't know if it's what I need/want. I want to be able to install the system like you would any other operating system. I'm really confused :??:

USAFRet

Titan

HTTP and ftp downloads here:
http://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html#http

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Okay, I've gotten it loaded onto a rewriteable disk, and I've booted the laptop to the disk, but this happens:

photo.JPG

It will not respond to any input. It's been sitting here for like 20 minutes now, doing nothing.

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Okay, I've gotten it loaded onto a rewriteable disk, and I've booted the laptop to the disk, but this happens:

photo.JPG

It will not respond to any input. It's been sitting here for like 20 minutes now, doing nothing.

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

I tried looking around for the Framebuffer device driver for SMI Lynx but I can't find any downloads.

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

That ISO file didn't work. I get the same thing as last time.

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

I can almost guarantee that Ubuntu will not run on this laptop. Almost.

Either way, is there a way to load the kernel (or even obtain the kernel with the lines for the SMI Lynx) into Puppy Linux? This is getting quite confusing and I'm getting tempted to just stop.

I've seen very few machines that wouldn't run Ubuntu. They were VERY old.

Either way, is there a way to load the kernel (or even obtain the kernel with the lines for the SMI Lynx) into Puppy Linux? This is getting quite confusing and I'm getting tempted to just stop.
Well, yes, you'll have to compile a custom kernel if the desired module/s aren't included. However, most distributions are compiled with genkernel which compiles every available module for that arch. If nothing else the generic VGA framebuffer works on everything and is always included.

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

So Ubuntu 12.04 should run under 192MB of RAM and a 500MHz Celeron? I'm skeptical, until I try.

It seems very complicated to compile a custom kernel. I don't have that kind of knowledge, and I won't ask someone else to do it for me. So, I guess Puppy Linux is out of the question. My assumption is that Ubuntu does have the drivers or whatever for the SMI Lynx, I may have heard incorrectly.

If nothing works, I'll just forget about all this and put Windows 98, 2000 or ME, as they have all the required drivers.

Sorry if I'm sounding rude, I hope I'm not.

So Ubuntu 12.04 should run under 192MB of RAM and a 500MHz Celeron?....
Only way to find out is to try. Just make sure it's the 32-bit version. Linux needs much less in the way of resources than Windows. I've run Linux on a P2 300 with only 64MB RAM with no problems (just didn't try to compile anything on it :) ).

Sorry if I'm sounding rude, I hope I'm not.
Nope. You're trying to absorb a whole bunch in a short amount of time.

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

I know I could get Gentoo to run on it. However, just building the core system would probably take 3 or 4 days, and another 1 or 2 to build KDE or GNOME. And you don't even want to know how long to build Firefox or LibreOffice.