Best Linux version for XP user? Best guide book for nuubie Linux user?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Fess-up SPL: we both know any part of Linux syntax and function influenced by Stallman and his coven was/is purposefully designed to be repulsive and ugly.

Haha you can't deny there's a certain appeal so giving things silly names... adds character! With Windows you have the BCD (Boot Configuration Database). Yawn*. With Linux you have GRUB!

* though of course that's not to say Windows isn't my OS of choice!

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
True enough. When I think of GRUB, I think of a 19-th Century Alaskan sourdough trapped in a Dawson winter cabin with a side of bacon, 2 moose haunches, 40 lbs of flour, a cask of vodka , a tomahawk-wielding Cree squaw and 3 sacks of hemp. No doubt there's appeal to such a "word".

But "e-nounce" the words "vi" and "emacs" and "gnu"! They sound like last-stage cancer variants or blood-sucking insects.

Haha that's what I think of too! But not really. Agreed about all the gn- crap though and people who insist on pronouncing the 'g' of GNOME. Usually the same people who insist on the use of 'GNU/Linux'.

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

I don't use the G, but it is GNU/Linux and there is a important reason for that.

Linux - Credit Linus Torvald's Kernel
GNU - Application Front designed by GNU

both deserve credit :)

Although it really seems like were HI JACKING a thread over the unique and funny names Linux gets to use. Lets wait to hear back from Tom about his problem and if you want to make a new thread about the Funny Names linux uses by all means go ahead and make sure to PM me a link : )

It was actually the OP who steered the conversation to names... his thread, his rules I suppose :) He hasn't posted in a week anyway so we can probably assume he's happy.

I am aware of the reason for GNU/Linux and can't help feeling contempt toward the glory-seeking and demands of recognition. I suppose those who aren't paid with money demand payment in the form of fame/respect instead...

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Sincer were just waiting for the OP to come back anyway.....

I think it's a following issue not a owner. I mean have you watched some of this speeches? The guy is a everyday it guy and just wants t make good software. It's his Fanbase that wants to encourage recognition. Also he and his collegues have given us soo much. FREE LEGALE OS's. I mean everything is free, the software is free, the upgrades are free, the replicas of high $$$$ software is fre. Gimp / Blender / ect.. high end video editing equipment for movies, goverment machines, servers, so many machines run linux or unix.

Remember that laptop for every child? Where hundreds of poor kids got laptops? That was linux becase Microsoft wouldn't even give them a discount on OS licenses, needless to say free Licenses as a option was laughed out the door.

SOoo.. you seem to come off a little harsh like he is a monster, but in the linux work he did a great thing and it's not him wanting credit, it's the Linux Fanbase wanting to give him credit.

Also Bill Gates isn't inloved in his OS anymore, and Torvald still works with nearly every kernel upgrade, and has tested out hundreds of player made Linux Distro's.

The man isn't the voice of god or a cult leader, but his actions have made him a great man.

Haha I wasn't sure if you were talking about Torvalds or Stallman until the end there. Yeah Linus seems like a cool guy and he's fairly cool about the Linux name, though of course it is him that's getting the recognition there - not Stallman or GNU. I was talking about demands of recognition from rms/GNU.

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

lol yeah, I feel bad that GNU doesn't get recognition for their part, but that isn't going to change much.

Except when people refer to it as 'GNU/Linux' and then somebody asks them why they're calling it that :) I'm just against making the name ugly and cumbersome. You wouldn't except Apple to start supplying 'FreeBSD/OS X' - doesn't have the same ring to it :)