Question Best location and fan orientation for new components

rabmcnair90

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
Hi,

I am putting together my new components and have a few questions regarding the best configuration to obtain optimum cooling.

Here is a list of my components:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£198.97 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£62.24 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£159.03 @ Amazon UK)
Case: be quiet! - Silent Base 601 ATX Mid Tower Case (£104.77 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Thermaltake - Riing Plus 12 RGB TT Premium Edition (3 Fan Pack) 48.34 CFM 120 mm Fans (£86.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £696.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-15 16:39 BST+0100

Questions

1. Should I mount my PSU with fan facing down so it sucks air in from outside the case?

2. Should I mount the radiator at the front of the case with the fans on the inside pulling air into the case?

3. Should I mount 2 Thermaltake fans on top as exhaust and 1 Thermaltake on the back as exhaust?

If this is not the best setup could you please post what it is.

Thanks

the roof and the front of this case are not designed to work well with radiator outtake. the top does not allow much air to escape so a lot of the hot air gets trapped in the case and continually cycles through the radiator.
you will get much better CPU temperatures placing the 240mm radiator in the front oriented as intake. fans pulling air straight in through the radiator from the front.

one 120mm fan as intake from the bottom. one in the back and one in the top directly under the vents as outtakes.

Last edited:

rabmcnair90

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
the roof and the front of this case are not designed to work well with radiator outtake. the top does not allow much air to escape so a lot of the hot air gets trapped in the case and continually cycles through the radiator.
you will get much better CPU temperatures placing the 240mm radiator in the front oriented as intake. fans pulling air straight in through the radiator from the front.

one 120mm fan as intake from the bottom. one in the back and one in the top directly under the vents as outtakes.
So the radiator fans will be on the inside of the case with the radiator attached directly to the front of the case?

rabmcnair90

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
Just wanted to thank everyone that replied.

However, when I went to attach the cooler the hose was not long enough to mount it in the front of the case. Therefore, I am going to return the item and probably go with an air cooler based on what JohnBonham said, as I don't want to mount it on the top of the case.

So the radiator fans will be on the inside of the case with the radiator attached directly to the front of the case?
all hardware would be on the inside no matter where you end up seating it. fans attached just inside the front, radiator attached further in with the fans blowing directly through it from the front. there is a vertical tray built in to the case that the fans and radiator would screw into and would be separating the fans from the radiator but only by a couple mm at the most.

if not using a liquid cooler i would go with AllanGH's first suggestion for the fans. 2x pulling in from the front, 1x pushing out through the back.

Last edited:

rabmcnair90

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
What Cooler would you recommend
all hardware would be on the inside no matter where you end up seating it. fans attached just inside the front, radiator attached further in with the fans blowing directly through it from the front. there is a vertical tray built in to the case that the fans and radiator would screw into and would be separating the fans from the radiator but only by a couple mm at the most.

if not using a liquid cooler i would go with AllanGH's first suggestion for the fans. 2x pulling in from the front, 1x pushing out through the back.
What Cooler would you recommend if I want to overclock?

Would like something relatively quiet, that does not impede my RAM (currently got 2 sticks of GSkill Rijaws). Don't fancy Noctua as it is a windowed case and I don't like the colours.

Thanks

Be Quiet has some nice air coolers, the Dark Rock series have gotten lots of good reviews. I have the Silent Wings 3 fans that it uses installed on my radiator and they are very quiet, almost inaudible, even at full load.
And the old CM 212 EVO is still one of the reigning top sellers after many years, they have a nicer black version now that looks much better.

The Pure Wings fans that come with the Silent Base 601 are very nice fans. I would incorporate them into the case in some way.
If you get a 120mm cooler, maybe use the Thermaltake RGB fans on the cooler you purchase and use the Pure Wings as the 2 front intakes. The RGB is kind of wasted hidden there behind the front cover, though they may shine through the front-side vents some.

Latest posts