[SOLVED] best long term storage paste

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Any style of paste that will last longer than the others in storage?
What kind of life expectancy can I expect from a tube of paste?
Fridge storage necessary?

Do you mean thermal paste..?
If so, fridge storage is not necessary, and depending on the size of the tube, and brand, it's shelf life might change drastically.

In general, 3-5 or at most, 6 years is what you can expect a tube of good quality thermal paste to last.
As for how long to replace your thermal paste on the cpu itself, i'd say every 2, maybe 3 years.

Manufacturer's usually list it on the specification list on their website.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Do you mean thermal paste..?
If so, fridge storage is not necessary, and depending on the size of the tube, and brand, it's shelf life might change drastically.

In general, 3-5 or at most, 6 years is what you can expect a tube of good quality thermal paste to last.
As for how long to replace your thermal paste on the cpu itself, i'd say every 2, maybe 3 years.

Manufacturer's usually list it on the specification list on their website.
I saw them claiming how long they last in service, but not in storage.

I would assume there would be some relationship between the 2, but I can easily see how they would last longer in storage as they will not be thermal cycling or getting up to temperature, but I can also see how a paste might last longer on the chip vs. in the tube as well as there would be no more physical movement once installed.

I saw them claiming how long they last in service, but not in storage.

I would assume there would be some relationship between the 2, but I can easily see how they would last longer in storage as they will not be thermal cycling or getting up to temperature, but I can also see how a paste might last longer on the chip vs. in the tube as well as there would be no more physical movement once installed.
"A few years"
Quote that, and take it with a grain of salt.

As long as it's in optimal conditions, it should stay for at minimum, the specified time.

If you need thermal paste so infrequently that a tube will last you that long, get the smallest tube you can, and don't worry about it.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
"A few years"
Quote that, and take it with a grain of salt.

As long as it's in optimal conditions, it should stay for at minimum, the specified time.

If you need thermal paste so infrequently that a tube will last you that long, get the smallest tube you can, and don't worry about it.
well, if it lasts as long in the tube as it lasts on the chip, who would use even a gram of it, unless building computers for others? It doesn't take that much on a chip, and I for one don't continually pull and replace CPUs unless I upgrade, and that isn't going to happen that often either.