[SOLVED] Best low power GPU for legacy Windows XP dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remeca

Reputable
I have an old offline only XP machine I use for legacy gaming, and I want to make it better, maybe run games up to 2009. I only want to upgrade the GPU, since both RAM and CPU are already maxed, it isn't worth getting a new PSU, so looking for a GPU that doesn't require extra power. It has PCIe x16.

Current specs:
Pentium D 945 3.2Ghz
4GB DDR2
ATI Radeon x1600
305W Dell PSU

Solution
Well, you have a pretty low power GPU already. I'm guessing the PSU doesn't have a PCIe cable? You might be able to find some 4-pin GPUs from that time.

Would really come down to the games and driver support. You might lose some stuff with a newer GPU.

Something like a GT730 technically still has driver support. Radeon 7730 or something?

I used to use an HD6670 for some classic gaming. Didn't seem to have too much trouble, but I was running from Windows 8 at the time, so there is a whole slew of games I couldn't run.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you have a pretty low power GPU already. I'm guessing the PSU doesn't have a PCIe cable? You might be able to find some 4-pin GPUs from that time.

Would really come down to the games and driver support. You might lose some stuff with a newer GPU.

Something like a GT730 technically still has driver support. Radeon 7730 or something?

I used to use an HD6670 for some classic gaming. Didn't seem to have too much trouble, but I was running from Windows 8 at the time, so there is a whole slew of games I couldn't run.

Solution

Remeca

Reputable

I'm assuming it doesn't have a pcie cable, but it's been awhile since I've been in it, so I'll check, and get psu details. I don't want anything recent enough to not have official Windows XP support, and I only plan on playing games that have XP listed in the official system requirements for a game. I had a Radeon HD 4850 in my Core 2 Duo, and it wasn't great, so something better than that performance range.

Remeca

Reputable
This is a strange computer. There are 1 floppy, 2 sata and 2 molex power connectors, as well as an odd 6pin with a very very short cable, perhaps for expanding to power more HDDs or whatever. It also has both onboard sata and ide. I was wrong about the video card, its actually a Radeon x600, not x1600.

WaZdaM7.jpg

dza2u0C.jpg

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, do you know if the slot delivers a full 75W, or is it one of those wimpy 35W slots?

4850 is a tall order. That is really creeping up on the modern times.

HD7750, would be about the same level or performance. Should still be drivers for that as well. Around 50W.

Anything significantly faster than a 4850 is either too new, or requires at least a 6-pin or more. You would start looking at GTX750 or lower end R7 lineup. Honestly I've always had better luck with AMD when it comes to older games, though these days I mostly emulate.

Remeca

Reputable
I may be thinking too big. I'm pretty sure the pcie x16 slot is only 35w, but I'm not averse to using a molex or sata to pcie adapter. My memory isn't what it used to be either, I'm just trying to build what would have been a serious gaming rig circa 2002-5, so maybe my comparison to the 4850 wasn't apt. I still have the 4850 kicking around, so I could always just order a 6 pin adapter and see if it works. I only stopped using it because it didn't have official W10 support.

Remeca

Reputable
After doing some looking, the GT 730 looks pretty good. However, I already have a similarly performing card in the R7 250, that's in a Windows 7 PC. I thought about just dropping the R7 in the XP machine, and getting a better card for the W7 one, but the driver support doesn't look like it's there for the R7 in XP, where the GT 730 has official driver support.

Status
Not open for further replies.