Question Best M.2 SSD for an enclosure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2021
Hello everyone!
I currently have M.2 980 Pro (2TB) that I bought for external storage, I bought an enclosure that supports up to 3.2 gen 2. the problem is that my MacBook Pro 2016 supports thunderbolt 3 and that one only supports USB 3.1 gen 2, so I am planning to replace the enclosure with a one that supports thunderbolt 3. But then I thought that I bought too strong M.2 SSD that doesn't really worth the money for being an external ssd storage. As far as I know, enclosures that support thunderbolt 3 are capable of around 2700MB/s, read and the continuous write can reach 1400MB/s maybe even 2500 MB/s. So I was wondering which M.2 SSD will best fit to be the best M.2 SSD for being an external thunderbolt 3 storage.
Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

If you don’t have any other use for the 980 then you may as well use it instead of buying another SSD. Personally I like the Crucial P5 in enclosures

I have one of them on each of my Xboxs

Dec 14, 2021
The one you have will work fine there is no best one for an enclosure
Yeah, I know that it will work fine but I feel that I just bought something that I don't take full advantage of it and it is just a waste of money and power, so I would like to return it and get something else. the question is what should I choose...
The performance of a 980 Pro is absolutely wasted when connecting externally.
I know that is why I want to return it and buy a different SSD that will be a perfect fit to be an external SSD with thunderbolt 3 speeds and will be reliable and won't fail after a short time.
970 evo/evo plus would be a better fit.
Thanks! I'll try to look for those.
If you don’t have any other use for the 980 then you may as well use it instead of buying another SSD. Personally I like the Crucial P5 in enclosures

I have one of them on each of my Xboxs
I want to return it and buy something else the question is which SSD fast enough for thunderbolt 3 speeds but also reliable?
the one on sale. I wouldn't go crazy.
Yeah but I am not sure which one is reliable and fast enough for Thunderbolt 3 speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.