• Gecube

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Well, I have never owned or purchased an ATI card before, only Nvidia. As the 4870 and 4870 X2 draw near ATI is looking very good now and this GTX200 and 9800 GTX+ situation has soured me to Nvidia these days, not to mention their drivers not being updated after a point. I have no idea about the quality of any of these manufacturers, so I hope you can help me. Warranties and all are nice, but the customer support quality and the product quality are where I am really lost. I only buy XFX, Nvidia cards not just because of the almost totally non-restricting double life time warranty, but the customer support has always been the best I have ever had from ANY company. I am looking for a company like this from the ATI camp, and I do not care about the gimmicks the ATI manufacturers might have like EVGA's step up program. Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it since this subject seems to be almost impossible to research.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
You can forget about Sapphire's customer support. The cards are generally cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

I've heard good things about MSI and Visiontek.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I haven't had any problem with gigabyte. MSI is supposed to be good, no experience though and HIS usually has good cooling solutions.

Sorry dont really know what to tell you. I have had ATI cards all my computing life, mainly Sapphire cards but my last couple have been HIS and my latest one is Sapphire again.
I cant relate to copasetic's reply about Sapphires customer support as I have never in 11 years or 8 cards needed it. The only manufacturers card I have had an issue with is power color but that was a case of the card dieing out side of warranty,(The only card that isnt still going might I add). Guess i may have just been lucky ?
The His ICEQ cooler is very good and quite, I get the turbo versions when I buy HIS they are solid and stable but are pretty much maxed out with little or no room for overclocking.
If someone said pick a card any card and you can have it free at the minuite it would be a HIS ICEQ TURBO 4850
Hope that helps in some way
Mactronix

It may be just the wording you are using (I suspect it is), but the manufacturer of EVERY AMD/ATI card is AMD/ATI. Company's like Diamond, MSI, Gigabyte etc., are distributors. It's the distributors who put pictures of chest heavy women, OC Terminator, Decimator, Beastmeister, etc. on the cards they distribute. It's their job! LOL!

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I say manufacturer, because these companies do manufacture there cards from what I have read, but the basic design is from ATI. Anyway this is all incredibly helpful, thank you. I am curious about Diamond, because I have read that their Viper editions are usually very good overclocks and are stable, though I will definitely remember what has been said of the HIS Turbo series.

Edit: once again badge I find myself loving the avatar!

I have been wanting to try Diamond. Their website looks on the up and up and they have a corporate office in Walnut, CA I believe.

Easy enough to post their site. Looks good to me on the surface.

http://www.diamondmm.com/

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

No, thats NOT what you said. You said...

ATI and nVidia produce the GPU and referance design, a third party (or parties as the case may be) builds the chips and boards and sells them to the distributors, who place the fancy stickers and aftermarket coolers.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
At this point, there is no hardware difference between any of those cards whatsoever. They're made on the same factory floor, and literally a matter of pasting on different labels. You have to wait a few months for non-reference cards to come out.

Phrexianghoul

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
with the number of blank votes it seems may people are wondering the same thing. I too thought that Sapphire was a good company, but after seeing the link to the BBB i'm having second thoughts :/ Since i started building computers i have used mostly Nvidia, but i'm really looking forward to my first ATI card. Get my ATI cherry popped with the 4870 hahaha :D

G

badge... can you post anymore... can't you honestly just put all of those things into one post... you don't need to make a new post to add stuff... that's why there are the edit buttons...

aside from that I'm curious about this to, i heard diamond makes great boards

Agree with Dagger. Buyer's should be happy with about any of the cards offered by the various distributors. You are getting the identical product. Hardware = 4850, produced, developed, built and copyrighted by AMD/ATI. So goes from one distributor to another. Service and support is at isssue certainly.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Ok, let me rephrase the question. I know there is no hardware difference, but what I wonder is the customer support quality, overclocking quality, and what I meant by product quality is the quality control of the cards which depends on the "distributor" since they also do a secondary control process.

I know that's what you meant The_Blood_Raven. So, with companys like ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte, you can expect the same kind of customer satisfaction and care yoiu get with any of thir products. 8)

EDIT: Too bad XFX only distributes Nvidia. I'm for ya! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.