divinedragon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
After doing some of my own research and a little waiting, I do believe I've found the right motherboard for the job. All I need now is to pair up the right kind of ram to suit my needs, and this is where I would love some great opinions on this. I hear great things about Gigabyte boards, and so I've been a little biased towards them even though I'm an ASUS fan as well (but seem to find them pricier for identical features)

A lot of the combo deals are paired up with CL9 G.Skill RAM (no real complaints there) and CL7/CL8 is negligible for me price wise as they rarely ever get paired with any kind of decent combo deal. I'm not a pro, nor am I super picky at making sure I squeak out that extra .3 seconds of speed. I'll have an OC'd 2600k for home base, and a single (for now) radeon 6870 graphics card. I'll be doing some moderate Adobe rendering with photoshop and AE, as well as much fun as I can get out of my gaming time as well. I'll be rocking a 24" 1920x1200 monitor if that detail is needed.

Help me find the sweet spot guys. I'm on the home stretch! :bounce:

Here is the page for the combo deal with that particular motherboard, so I'm open to suggestions if you find something better. It's by no means set in stone.

divinedragon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Good ol' Gkay. Thanks for your input as always!

divinedragon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Yes. It just seemed to make a little more sense to me. I'd rather have a little more than not enough for what I need to do, and if I'm spending the money on something like that, I'd rather spend a little extra for the piece of mind. I've got some decisions to make over the next few days for buying things. I can get the CPU at a place called Microcenter for $295 after tax, and get it with a MB combo to take $40 off any motherboard. Newegg actually ends up being cheaper for the MB even with that combo, so I may just wait until newegg or someone drops the 2600k back down to $300 again.