Best MB to use Intel 3.2E Processor

efurtz

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Can anyone offer a Manufacturer who can provide the best over all performance/features MB for my EXPENSIVE Intel 3.2E processor that has a L-3 cache of 2MB? I am partial to Intel,Asus but will consider others. I would like stability & efficiency along with a superior chipset (like the new SIS TX) to be onboard. Also I need integrated lan,IEEE ports,multiple usb ports and possibly onboard Video (if possible).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intel 3.2E processor that has a L-3 cache of 2MB.
ROFLMAOROFLMAOROFLMAOROFLMAOROFLMAOROFLMAOROFLMAOROFLMAO :lol:

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
the new SIS TX chipset is the BEST match for intel pentium IV

Abit IC7 Max II Adv.- P4E3.0@3.6 - CNPS7000B-CU - i875P - 1024mb dual ddr400 3-2-2-5 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, well, 3.2E is Prescott, has 1MB L2 cache. 3.2EE is the one with 2MB L3. The SiS 656TX and similar chipsets are fairly old, the top chipsets for Intel CPU's are the 865 series, 875P, 915 series, and 925. Have you been following this stuff or buying randomly?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You're going to hate on-board graphics. Why waste a superior chip and a fast chipset with this junk? Get a good GPU!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power

efurtz

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Ok my bad for the misdesignation of the chip...you knew which chip I was referring to anyway cause it's the ONLY one available with a L-3 cache of 2mb so stop with the arrogance and maybe share some useful info....And you are the one who is behind there amart guy Intel's newest chipset is the 775 series....get a life loser!!

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
And you are the one who is behind there amart guy Intel's newest chipset is the 775 series....get a life loser!!
Im afraid you are wrong again, Intel now uses socket775 HOWEVER the chipsets that go with this socket are the 915 and 925 as crashman said. Socket775 is not a chipset.

In answer to your origional question, Abit are doing very well at the moment. I have heard about a lot of voltage regulation issues with some of the asus 865/875 boards.
Are you planning on getting DDR2 and a PCI-e graphics card? Because if not you will need to find yourself a board with an AGP slot and DDR slots.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, OK, what he said. Anyway, most of the people asking questions have already looked into the technology. I can help you with board selection, but preferably after you know about the platforms.

Abit IS7 is relatively inexpensive, full-featured, and a good performer. If you want something cheaper that's still a good performer, several sites are carrying surplus Gigabyte GA-8ISXT-FS OEM boards for around $32. The reason they're so cheap? They're surplus OEM boards.

I can't really recommend spending a big wad of money on a "better" board than the Abit IS7 simply because all the more expensive boards are so close to it in performance and features. I tested the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and found it lacking in quality (VRM issues). I like my Soyo P4I875P Dragon 2 version 1.0, but I got it free and really don't do business with Soyo.

If you'd like newer technology, PCI-Express boards in Socket 478 are kind of rare, but Asus is releasing the P4GD1 with that socket and a 915 chipset. It's similar to previous i865PE chipset boards, except for the type of expansion slots it provides.

RichPLS

Champion
Rick Moser
Title stranger
Homepage
Occupation IT Technician
Hobbies Flying,Billiards,Sex
Location Atlanta, Ga
Bio Just a Tech out there cleaning up the virus infected world of Pc's

Your going to dis people because you did not understand their replies, efurtz, the IT Tech? If you want the newest and best, mate your motherboard and raise your own.
Chill, I am from the government, and I am here to help you...

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
So, what kind of person comes to a place like this, and responds to one of the fixtures here (Crashman) the way you have.
Obviously your interpersonal skills are as good as your hardware skills. E-bay that overpriced Intel crap, and get yourself a Dell, or just go some place that ryhms with that company.

efurtz

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Ok Guys let me see if maybe I can clear this up a bit.
I am currently using my Intel 3.2EE processor in an Intel 865Perl board and it runs fine.....I just don't see anywhere in hardware identification that the L-3 cache is even being recognized? If so, isn't this chip being underutilized? Or is it that this chip can not be fully (hardware identified) unless a board (specifically designed for this chip) is used? Hence my dillema.....Is there a board out there (regardless of price) that will fully utilized all that this chip is designed to provide?

efurtz

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Now your talkin...I looked at that board and it has EXACTLY what I need. One question: This 2mb L-3 cache onboard the Intel 3.2EE chip....is it recognizable/utilized to it's fullest with this board? What is the best hardware ID utility I can use to check that status?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Download CPU-Z That should give you info on the L3 cache I think... (Gotta admit I haven't tried it on that chip... You've got one expensive chip there!)

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Any 865/875 based board should recognise the P4EE edition (some may require a BIOS update but I doubt it). The cache is controlled by the CPU and not the chipset so there is no reason why it shouldnt be recognised.

efurtz

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
BINGO....that did the trick...many thanks....now I see the L-3 cache is fully recognized and utilized in my Asus P4S800D-E board. I don't know why the Intel 865Perl board wouldn't show the L-3 cache using it's own Intel hardware detection utility??
Ok looks like this was definitely the place to get solid answers and good advice. And yes this $950 chip is one "bad M-F" I love it and the whole system is very stable in either the Asus board or the Intel 865 board. Love this SIS655TX chipset as well!!!

efurtz

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Haven't really fooled around with overclocking so am rather hesitant to do so. At $950 (more money than I have EVER paid for a processor) I think I'll leave that one to the guys who can afford to burn it up. I really just did this to find a suitable system for my high end customers who wanted a machine setup that would be more stable than the AMD systems and yet as powerful.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
In my experience AMD systems are just as stable as P4 systems, especially with the introduction of the Athlon64. Bear in mind that the new P4 prescott is the hottest desktop CPU thathas ever been made.

efurtz

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Yea I think you might be right about AMD systems however one of my jobs is a Factory rep for several online resellers like CyberPower,IbuyPower,ABS...etc and in the field I see LOTS of unstable AMD systems. I have yet to see even 1 Intel based system with similar issues. My prescott 2.8E chip in my other computer is quite fast but can't even come close to this 3.2EE chip. That's HARD data ...sorry bout that.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Instability could be a combination of power supply, chipset, cooling, drivers, O/S, memory, program, or any of the above. I don't know anybody with an Alien that has an unstable rig. Of course, that is an upper-end AMD box which lends itself to quality parts. Compare your 3.2EE to an A64 FX-55 in benchmarks and see which one is faster. Both CPU's cost about the same.