[SOLVED] Best memory for Asus ROG Crossshair VIII Hero + AMD Ryzen 9 5950x

Dec 1, 2021
Hi guys,

I'm searching for the best memory module (2x32 gb) for Asus ROG Crossshair VIII Hero + AMD Ryzen 9 5950x.

From the asus website of the motherboard:

__
ASUS Optimem III
Infused with proprietary memory trace layout tweaks that improve signal integrity and mitigate noise, Optimem III allows memory kits to run at lower latencies, reduced voltages, and operate at higher frequencies. Stack the Dark Hero with your favorite modules and maximize Zen 3 processors throughput for applications that demand massive bandwidth, or balance infinity fabric and memory performance for a diverse range of workloads.

G.Skill Memory 4 x 32GB CL18 @3600MHz
  • OptiMem III - CL 16
  • No OptiMem III - CL 18

____

From what I understend it's better to have OptiMem III, but what do they mean with G.Skill?

However which memory module do you suggest for 2x32 gb @3600MHz CL 16?

Solution
You may want to have 128GB and the Motherboard may support that amount at frequencies well beyond JDEC standards however you have to also consider the CPU memory controller.

It is the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) that determines what frequency, size and number of DIMMs it can support with stability and that is what is most important.
It is also the IMC that stores all SPD (serial presence detect) details for the RAM your running.
The more banks of RAM and the higher the frequency the more strain on the IMC.
Training RAM and maintaining stability is for the enthusiast if you wish to go beyond JDEC. For the beginner it's best to stick with RAM that have an extended profile such as XMP or D.O.C.P. for easy Overclocking.

Mining...
One thing for sure, Ryzen is picky with RAM.

According to AMD, Ryzen 9 5950x officially supports 3200MHz so expect to have to manually input SPD Timings and Dram voltage in Bios if you want higher frequency OC RAM to 3600Mhz.

To be safe it's best to choose a kit that are listed on the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../Memory_QVL_for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_X570-4DIMM.pdf

OptiMem III is proprietary software and I've yet to see a decent review and just another method to Overclock RAM from Windows. I would much prefer to manually determine my SPD settings from Bios.

Ryzen seems to prefer a frequency of 3200Mhz CL14-16 with Samsung B-Die chips as it's sweet spot so your choosing a kit of (4x32) would have to be chosen carefully from the QVL as listed above.
What are your reasons or need for 128GB?

I could not find a kit (2x32) G.Skill at 3600MHz CL16 with Samsung chips that are QVL listed and tested.
You may find that combo with a different manufacturer however 3600MHz are not guaranteed to work as they are OC RAM.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021
Hi @MeanMachine41 , thanks for your reply, really appreciate it!

I didn't know about the QVL, I'm going to have a look there!

I'm not going to have 4x32 in the near future, but I'd like the possibility to add other 64 gb when and if there will be the necessity.

I'm going to use this machine to run a full blockchain node and to develop resources consuming programs (machine learning ecc..).

The requirements of the blockchain node will increase over time, so I just want the possibility of the future upgrade.

From your reply I'm starting to think that maybe 3200 MHz is better, but in QVL I can't find 2x32 3200 MHz with Samsung B-Die chips.

What do you suggest based on your experience?

You may want to have 128GB and the Motherboard may support that amount at frequencies well beyond JDEC standards however you have to also consider the CPU memory controller.

It is the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) that determines what frequency, size and number of DIMMs it can support with stability and that is what is most important.
It is also the IMC that stores all SPD (serial presence detect) details for the RAM your running.
The more banks of RAM and the higher the frequency the more strain on the IMC.
Training RAM and maintaining stability is for the enthusiast if you wish to go beyond JDEC. For the beginner it's best to stick with RAM that have an extended profile such as XMP or D.O.C.P. for easy Overclocking.

Mining bitcoin in blockchain node may be an intensive Task/application however it's best to have the system stable and complete the task over more time it takes, than the system crash without completing.

There is a 64GB kit of G.Skill (4x16) at 3600Mhz with Samsung chips that are tested and known to work. F4-3600C17Q-64GTZR and may require a little tweaking in Bios to get to the rated frequency.

There is also a similar Corsair kit at 3200Mhz CL 16 that are tested.
CMT64GX4M4C3200C16(Ver4.31)

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 1, 2021
I'm not going to mining, I just want a full node to get the transactions on the block chain. However I really appreciate your help, thank you very much!