Best method for installing new Samsung 850 Evo SSD?

sam444

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Hi, I have a new Samsung 850 Evo drive and I have a few questions about the installation. I currently have a hybrid drive in my laptop. It has recently been causing problems for me (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2954876/start-menu-updates-windows-features-working.html#17420094) and I've finally decided that a clean install of Windows 10 is the only way to fix it. I backed up my files to an external hard drive, but now I'm wondering if I even have to do a clean install since I could just install the new ssd. So I'm wondering if I should do a clean install of Windows 10 on my current hybrid drive first, restore the files to the drive and then use Samsung data migration tool to transfer the files to the ssd. Or should I just install the new ssd and do a clean windows 10 install on it and then I guess just transfer the files from the external drive to the new ssd. I don't really know anything about hard drive formatting if that would cause any problems. I also have a usb with Windows 10 download on it for the clean install. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Laptop Specs:
-Lenovo y50
-Nvidia GeForce gtx 860m 4gb
-4th generation Intel core i7 4710HQ
-8gb PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM
-hybrid 1tb 5400 rpm+8gb sshd
-Windows 10

sam444

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

So just to be clear you mean replace the hybrid drive and do a clean install on the ssd and import files back from the external instead of using Samsung data migration. Also what does Samsung magician do afterwards?

sam444

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Thanks for the help. I probably made it harder than it needed to be but first I made a backup on my external drive, then I did a factory reset on my old drive, and reupgrade to Windows 10. Then I used the Samsung migration software, and lastly I installed the ssd and transferred back over the important files from the external backup drive.