Best method for moving files and data? Most reliable method?

itakey

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
What is the most reliable way to move files on a Windows 10 computer? Typically I use Total Commander with the verify setting on and it always served me well, but I wasn't sure if there was a more suitable way?

I also use Acronis or EaseUS when I want to move an entire drive, but this time I want to move on a file by file basis since I'm restructuring how I store files.

Is Total Commander still a good method? Is there something that uses a better checksum verification or anything?

What is your favorite method of moving lots of files?

Solution

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Where are you moving the files to, A separate internal drive or an external NAS or raid array?

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Where are you moving the files to, A separate internal drive or an external NAS or raid array?

itakey

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

I currently have a collection of internal drives, externals, and a NAS. My typical scenario is that files either live on Internal drives, or the NAS, and they then get backed up to the External drives. So there is always at least 1 live copy, and 1 backup copy (Sometimes 2 backup copies). I'm selective about what lives on my NAS which runs in a RAID configuration, but I am pretty good about backing things up redundantly and I have an off-site backup that i'm going to refresh as well.

I'm trying to consolidate how many drives I have running at once, and I want to create more separation beetween Business/Personal/Active/Archive type files. I have a spread of 1TB's to 8TB's, so the plan is to separate files (Business/Client/Archive/Personal/Photo's and Video/Etc. The plan will allow me to have less drives in my configuration, and will allow quicker and easier backing up of files.

So it's going to just be a lot of file/folder moving from one spot to the next, mostly between internal/external drives.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Moving from internal drive to internal drive your current setup should be perfectly fine, as for moving between raid and external and the like, go with what ever you feel most comfortable doing, or what is most stable. It's more important to transfer data at a slower pace but more stably than faster but possibly lose data.

Solution