Best microSD Cards for Raspberry Pi

May 11, 2020
I love write-ups about micro SD card benchmarks. I notice a big difference when using them on a Raspberry Pi. However, it seems like the article has wrong link regarding the Samsung Evo Plus card. All the other links, are for a 32GB card, while the Evo Plus link @ Amazon is for a 128GB. So, the 32GB Evo Plus micro SD cards cost even less than the listed price of $24.94. They're $8.05 at Amazon at this moment. If you can find the older 32 GB Samsung Evo + micro SD cards, where they print a "+" symbol instead of spelling out the word "Plus", those are even faster. But they're getting hard to find and have largely been replaced by the "Plus" versions. I see that the article's link to Dell show a picture of the "+" cards, but I'd be surprised if that were true. I'd bet a nickle that you get a "Plus" card instead. If you want top performance for your Raspberry Pi 4, try a SSD as your root drive - they're nearly 10x faster. If you want top performance for your Raspberry Pi 3, look into overclocking the Pi's card reader, you can get basically 2x increase in speed, but there's a caveat or two. In any case, thanks for the article and good find on the Silicon Power micro SD cards.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

TCA_ChinChin

Honorable
Feb 15, 2015
It is really quite useful information knowing that such a low cost option actually performs among the best, even compared to the most well known and reputable brands. I'll keep this in mind when I'm shopping for SBCs and SD cards for them.

AdminUser

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
I'm using the SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive, $40 @ Amazon - amazing performance. No SD needed with the new beta boot eprom update

Jun 18, 2020
Great article. I have several Rpi 4's 8gb and 4gb, Most of them use fast SSD drives as Evo 860 and Crucial MX500. However, since Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 64 bit does NOT support USB 3 boot yet, I have to rely on slow microsd cards. I only purchase the most expensive and allegedly faster ones like kingston extreme and extreme pro. And after buying 4 32gb silicon power because of your article, difference is highly noticeable compared to my kingston micro sd's mentioned above , they run much faster and they just run on my RPi 4 8Gb smooth as butter without any lags at all. I'm impressed by these low-cost SP cards.

Jun 18, 2020
I'm using the SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive, $40 @ Amazon - amazing performance. No SD needed with the new beta boot eprom update
They are needed if you are using a real OS like ubuntu server/desktop/mate 20.04 LTS 64 bit. There's NO support yet for USB Boot on Rpi 4 other than raspbian 32/64 bit OS's.

Jun 18, 2020
After checking multiple benchmarks about your Sandisk 128gb Extreme Pro USB 3.1 SSFD, you could've got 3x faster reading/writing speeds for the same money with a Kingston A400 240Gb SSD drive and a USB3 to SATA adapter(UASP and Trim support under raspbian) w/ ASM1153E chipset(Eluteng). Take a look:
https://storage.jamesachambers.com/latest/3

ThatMouse

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Does the Pi corrupt the sd card when you power it off? That was my problem with the original Pi. I was told that using a thumb drive prevents this problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY