[SOLVED] Best mid-range GPU for playing new Call of Duty 2019 at 1440p

HenchDean

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
CPU: Intel i7-4770k (default motherboard overclock)
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz)
PSU: Corsair 850
GPU NVIDIA GTX 970 SC (4GB)
Monitor: BenQ 1080p @ 60fps

Hey, my rig isn't the best but it does the job for what I have played in the past. I'm looking to update my monitor to 1440p 144hz and know that my GPU is lacking for the kind of games I want to play, e.g the new Call of Duty. Plus, if I want to take advantage of my hardware and get smooth frames then I need to get a Freesync/GSYNC monitor. My current GPU doesn't support Freesync so I need an AMD GPU or NVIDIA GPU that is later than the 10 series.

Upgrading the Motherboard and CPU is out of the question for now because that it a lot to spend on top of a new monitor. There is a possibility of buying a GSYNC monitor and having 2x GTX 970s in SLI, but I'd like to hear some opinions as I have never done SLI before.

So the main questions are:

1. What GPU should I get to play the new Call of Duty on high settings at 1440p and see decent FPS, ie. around 100?
  2. Is SLI a good option? I will have to spend more for a GSYNC monitor, so money will be a factor, but is it even viable?
  3. Do you have any monitor recommendations? I'm looking at 27 or 32 inch screens, but I am leaning towards the 32 being more ideal. I will include a list of my cheap ideal ones below.

AOC CQ32G1 31.5" monitor - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NPHZ...olid=1T8ABUXL8CVW0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

LG 32GK650F 32" monitor - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XFDP...olid=1T8ABUXL8CVW0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Solution
Hey there,

Hmmm. IMO, you are looking at upgrading the wrong way around. You are starting with the monitor, and hoping your PC can make up the difference. Which it can't.

It's not just that your GPU won't hold up at that res, but also your CPU. So, sadly, and although your current system is relevant, just about, you really do need to consider mobo/cpu/ram upgrade along with GPU, to achieve 1440p 100-144hz.

It's not all about GPU. The CPU needs to be capable to. 'For what you have played in the past' is all well and good. But like most things, GPU/CPU requirements frow as each year passes and each new gen of tech pushes the requirements higher.

I'd recommend this first as a base to start your upgrade:

PCPartPicker Part List...
Hey there,

Hmmm. IMO, you are looking at upgrading the wrong way around. You are starting with the monitor, and hoping your PC can make up the difference. Which it can't.

It's not just that your GPU won't hold up at that res, but also your CPU. So, sadly, and although your current system is relevant, just about, you really do need to consider mobo/cpu/ram upgrade along with GPU, to achieve 1440p 100-144hz.

It's not all about GPU. The CPU needs to be capable to. 'For what you have played in the past' is all well and good. But like most things, GPU/CPU requirements frow as each year passes and each new gen of tech pushes the requirements higher.

I'd recommend this first as a base to start your upgrade:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $387.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-21 16:16 EDT-0400

Keep your PSU/GPU and see how your gaming pans out. Then, if you want to get your 1440p monitor and a GPU to drive it, at least you have base system that is capable of driving it to it's potential.

For 1440p high hz, you should be looking at a RTX2070 super, to be able to play at high fps and high in game settings. You could get away with an RTX2060 super/RX5700XT for slightly slower FPS at that res.

Of course, all of this depends on what games you play. If you are playing CS:GO or Fornight, then you will be okay as is. If you wanna play AAA games like BF V etc then you need to upgrade GPU/CPU together, and that means mobo and ram too. Otherwise, you will just be found wanting again in some months down the line.

Solution

Latest posts